My First Starter - Is This Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
This is my first starter. I boiled about 1500ml of water and mixed in about 3/4 cup of DME. After cooling to about 70˚, I pitched my Wyeast and started the DIY stir plate. It has been 3 days since I pitched and this photo shows what I have now. I only ran the stir plate for a day because I wanted to see what was going on with the fermentation.

Should I have more activity than this? Also I have a white layer at the bottom of the flask. Is this my yeast or protiens from the hot break. Thanks.

starter.jpg

Just a little more info: I put the yeast in my refridgerator and I think it partly froze. It wasn't solid but it felt like a few ice crystals in one corner. My LHBS said that it would be fine. I would loose some yeast but it wasn't a total loss. Also, I failed to break the yeast nutrient pack inside the smack pack. I thought I did but when I opened the package, it was still intact. I poured the nutrient pack into the flask and stirred. The ambient temp of the room is 70˚.

The white layer on the bottom of the flask should be yeast. You should be fine.
I just thought I should be seeing more activity by now. I guess I should crank up the stir plate again. It's not really stirring as vigorously as the ones that I see on the internet. I should have gone with the smaller stir bar.

I am not sure how the stir plate affects the "signs" of fermentation. However, that looks like mine do once high-krausen has passed.

And yes, the white layer at the bottom is yeast.

The krausen (if it happens at all) in a starter doesn't last very long at all. The active fermentation period probably passed while you weren't looking.

OK, assuming that I did miss the main fermentation what do I do at this point? I thought the purpose was to pitch the yeast while fermentation was still active and vigorous.

OK, assuming that I did miss the main fermentation what do I do at this point? I thought the purpose was to pitch the yeast while fermentation was still active and vigorous.

you can pitch at high krausen or not. The starter is to increase your cell count and proof the yeast. All of my starters I refrigerate and decant the liquid let it warm to the wort temp and pitch the slurry. I do this because I make the starter well in advance of my brew day.

You should leave the stir plate on at all times. It doesn't need to have a monster vortex to be effective. I NEVER pitch at high krausen. My brewing schedule dictates my yeast pitching. For ales I plan on doing a starter 3 days before. Then place in the fridge the night before brewing. Then simply decant warm, swirl and pitch.

I usually refrigerate and decant my starters after I have the required cell count. On brew day though I make a small amount (1 cup water, 1/4 cup DME) of wort and pour that onto the slurry in the flask. Since I am doing extract still, by the time I am done brewing, the yeast is at high-krausen.

Well I finally brewed last night. It was about 9PM when I pitched my yeast. When I woke up this morning, the airlock was bubbling away. I get a bubble at least every second, even now at nearly 3PM.

This was my first starter and I must say, this is the fastest and most vigorous airlock activity I have had to date. I am now hooked on starters. I am going to tweak my stir plate a bit and start another starter to brew this weekend. Thanks all !!!!!!

Back