English Pub Ale (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
CORRECTION: The Above # of Days & Temp should be;
Primary: 7 days 64-75F
Secondary: 14 days 64-75F
Bottle Condition: 21 days.

Pub Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

08-A English Pale Ale, Standard/Ordinary Bitter

Min OG: 1.032 Max OG: 1.040
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 35
Min Clr: 4 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 2.00
Total Extract (Lbs): 4.80
Anticipated OG: 1.035 Plato: 8.74
Anticipated SRM: 6.3
Anticipated IBU: 23.0
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 2.35 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.074 SG 17.98 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
68.8 3.30 lbs. Briess LME- Gold (aka Light) America 1.035 4
20.8 1.00 lbs. Generic DME - Light Generic 1.046 8
10.4 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 19.7 60 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 3.3 1 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1098 British Ale

Water Profile
-------------

Profile: Des Moine - Fleur Drive
Profile known for: Drinking & Bathing

Calcium(Ca): 35.2 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 21.3 ppm
Sodium(Na): 21.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 54.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 39.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 105.3 ppm

pH: 8.32

Notes
-----

Wyeast #1098 British Ale Yeast. From Whitbread. Ferments dry and crisp, sli
ghtly tart, fruity and well-balanced. Ferments well down to 65° F. Floccula
tion: high. Apparent attenuation: 68-72%. Optimum temperature: 64-75.

Bottle w/ Muntons KreamyX

Or use the standard priming solution of 5oz by wt of corn sugar

How did this recipe turn out for you? I'm looking for an extract recipe for a session ale (using Wyeast 1098 - I have a cake I washed from a batch of graff) that I can plunk into the pipeline while I'm gearing up for a saison in a month or 2, and this sounds like it might be a good 'un.

Just brewed a 5 gal. batch of this up this past weekend. I'm hoping that if it turns out as good as I'm hoping it does, I might make this one of the "house beers" I keep on rotation in my kegerator.

Is the 40L here an extract or steeping grains? I have 0.5 lb of crushed 40L to steep, is that correct?

Great, thanks. I have all of the ingredients (subbed dry nottingham yeast) and should be brewing this tomorrow. It's my first batch of beer! :)

Great, thanks. I have all of the ingredients (subbed dry nottingham yeast) and should be brewing this tomorrow. It's my first batch of beer! :)

Good Luck! - Word of the wise. Limit the beer drinking just a few beers during the steeping & boil. Less likely for rookie mistakes!

Cheers! :mug:

I just plugged this recipe into qbrew and the ABV came out to be only 3.3%, is that correct? That's pretty low. If that's the case, I have another pound of DME that I could throw in there to bump it up to about 4.2%.

I just plugged this recipe into qbrew and the ABV came out to be only 3.3%, is that correct? That's pretty low. If that's the case, I have another pound of DME that I could throw in there to bump it up to about 4.2%.

Its about 3.6%. If it goes to 1.008 3.6% - If it hits 1.004 then it will be 4%.

It depends on the yeast attenuation. How much it wants to eat...

The style is low abv for session drinking. You can drink lots of beers without getting wasted.

If this is your 1st , try this as it is written. If you add the extra DME you will need to add more hops to hit the right IBUs or bitterness.

I used this recipe with the following changes: 2 oz of goldings for 60 min instead of 1 oz, 2 lbs of DME instead of 1 lb, and Nottingham yeast (dry, rehydrated). I doubled the DME to get more ABV and as my luck has it the Nottingham quit at 1.020 (from 1.049) so the beer is at it's original strength anyways.

My sample tasted great, and it's kegged, carbing up:

-Rob

Hey Schlenkerla-

I just stumbled upon this recipe, I've been in the process of creating my own english pub ale....it's pretty similar to this. I did your Irish Red...pretty good.

Thanks for all of your info!

Schlenkerla,

What would your opinion be on dry-hopping this beer with an ounce of either cascade or citra? I love the idea of having a nice session ale with a hint of hop aroma/finish. Would that work in this case?

Schlenkerla,

What would your opinion be on dry-hopping this beer with an ounce of either cascade or citra? I love the idea of having a nice session ale with a hint of hop aroma/finish. Would that work in this case?

It would be good if the ibu's where kept the same. It would be basically be an american pale ale. You need to use a recipe calculator to get it right. Try Http://www.recipator.com

Brewed this on Fri. with 3.5 lbs LME, Notty yeast, and Amber DME (Not sure if Amber is the lightest or middle). Didn't get the OG sample, but it looks great. Can't wait to put this on tap and not get hammered during Football!!

folks,

I'm planning to brew this weekend and this seems like an easy recipe to follow and will report back my finding in the next month or so.

I'm bottling this today. It looks super clean thanks to the 2 weeks secondary. I'll report back in another 3 weeks or so when it's ready to be quaffed. ;)

update:
I took a sample while bottling and it turned out pretty good. I got about 47 bottles which I guess is pretty good since I racked it into a secondary. Really looking forward to three weeks from now.

I'm bottling this today. It looks super clean thanks to the 2 weeks secondary. I'll report back in another 3 weeks or so when it's ready to be quaffed. ;)

update:
I took a sample while bottling and it turned out pretty good. I got about 47 bottles which I guess is pretty good since I racked it into a secondary. Really looking forward to three weeks from now.

Well, after drinking all the bottles I find that this beer is just not quite what I was expecting. The low alc. content is great for a session drink, but the beer has a slight watery taste because the grain bill is a bit low. The hop flavor is nice, but weak. I might brew this again if I need a very delicate beer. This was also my first English Pub Ale so I might not like the style (I'll have to taste others to see). Overall I give this about a 6/10 based on my preferences. I have no idea how it compares to other EPA's so someone else give a rating on that please!

Well, after drinking all the bottles I find that this beer is just not quite what I was expecting. The low alc. content is great for a session drink, but the beer has a slight watery taste because the grain bill is a bit low. The hop flavor is nice, but weak. I might brew this again if I need a very delicate beer. This was also my first English Pub Ale so I might not like the style (I'll have to taste others to see). Overall I give this about a 6/10 based on my preferences. I have no idea how it compares to other EPA's so someone else give a rating on that please!

Keep in mind that pub ale is the english version of our light beer. Try a can of Boddington's. Tell if you think different about this beer. You just might not like the style. I go hot and cold on some styles. I think its weather related.

I brewed this a few weeks ago. I didn't rack to a secondary but got the FG under 1.010. I'd agree with some of the other posters. This beer is certainly "light". It has a real "thin" quality to it. The hops come through and the color is perfect, but the maltiness is really lacking. I would argue that a Boddington's has a bit of a heavier flavor, but I'll give this a good week in the keg to see how it matures. Overall, if you want a swillin' beer, this can certainly be drunk by the truckloads!

Keep in mind that pub ale is the english version of our light beer. Try a can of Boddington's. Tell if you think different about this beer. You just might not like the style. I go hot and cold on some styles. I think its weather related.

I never thought about that before. If that's the case then I see why my "ranking system" (i.e., taste buds) gave it a mediocre score. I guess I wasn't thinking about it like that. Let me say this then, I'd drink this over miller light anyday!

IMO a recipe along these lines makes a very drinkable beer, but I'd add an extra pound of DME and do an extra hop addition at 15 minutes. Either another 1oz of EKG, or go with 1oz Fuggles at 60 mins, then 1oz EKG at 15 and 5 minutes.

I appreciate the session beer goal, but 3.3% abv is definitely on the low end of typical English cask ales, and you need some extra stuff in there with extract to give the beer some body. Might be an idea to steep some biscuit along with the 40L.

Back