Beer Tasting @ my corner pub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reedwalker

Reaction score
I posted this in the Michigan Mashers club page. I thought some of you may enjoy my review of the tasting regardless of your geographic location.

I was at Cowley's in Downtown Farmington tonight for the monthly beer tasting. $20 for a pint, light appetizer(some sausage peppers and onions, beef tips and rice, potato salad)and 8 2-3 oz samples of brew.

Rex Halfpenny was our "host". He had a lot more to say about IPA (this particular evenings focus) than just the basic English Ale designed to travel from Britain to India kind of stuff. I only wish I was sitting closer so I could have heard more. By the time the fourth beer was being sampled it was too loud in the joint to clearly hear what was being said.

We sampled my current favorite, New Holland Breweries Mad Hatter. It's my favorite because its a Michigan brew and, I truly believe dollar for dollar its the best, cheapest beer available at my local grocery store(Harvest Fresh for $7.99/6 pack). We worked our way through some beers that were surprisingly classified as IPA's that I would have otherwise pigeon holed as Belgians or Barley Wines.

All in all it was well worth the $20. And Thank God I can walk home from Cowley's. The night ended with some heavy brews. The final sample was Avery's The Maharaja at 10.24 ABV. A sweet malty brew with all the expected flavors of a high Octane IPA.

Next month is Meads. Its on Tuesday July 28th. I will surely be there!

Maharaja is one of my favorite IPA's, along with the infamous West Coast IPA from Green Flash.

I had a great IPA over the weekend from Bear Republic. It was called Racer 5 I believe.

Back