On Rhino Farts . . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Folks,

I've only completed one batch of Ed's apfelwein, and I've only pitched one other. So far, though, we've avoided the "rhino farts" without adding yeast nutrient. We could just be fortunate, but just in case, I thought I would mention a few deviations from Ed's original recipe that may make the difference:

First, I've used juice that contains ascorbic acid. It's what I find, it's awfully yummy, and it's cheaper than the other stuff. I don't know why ascorbic acid would make a difference (other than some funky organic molecule thing that I've forgotten). Even moreso, I don't know that it does make a difference, but it's a deviation from Ed's original recipe, so I note it here. Perhaps the collective experience can confirm or dismiss this possibility.

Second, I've used Hill Country Fare (i.e., HEB's store brand) and Maker's Mark (i.e., Sam's store brand) juice. I know I read in the nearly 2300 posts in the apflewein thread that someone else did the same. Perhaps these juices don't have the sulfur content of Tree Top? I don't know, but it's just something else to note. If you used HCF or Maker's Mark juice, please chime in and help confirm or dismiss this possibility.

Third, I aeriated nearly all the juice, rather than about a gallon. In fact, all but about the first half gallon of juice gets a good shaking before it goes in. It occurred to me while dissolving some of the dextrose that yeast likes oxygen to get started, so I went ahead and shook it all up, pouring about half of one bottle into one of the empty bottles for shaking. Yes, it's a little more hassle, but shaking is fun. Of all the possibilities, this one makes the most sense, as the rhino farts seem to be a symptom of stressed yeast (thus, the yeast nutrient solution). I'm curious to hear what the rest of you have to say.

So, any thoughts or (even better) experiences to add? I could do without the rhino farts, and I'm just wondering if I've been lucky or if there's a better reason.

TL

I have made 15gl of Ed's apfelwein original recipe. all 3 batches have passed nice sweat smelling gas, not even close to a rhino.
Jeff

I got home late last night, opened my front door and was greeted by the overwhelming smell of Apfelwein out-gassing. My house is pretty big, but it permeated the entire place...I had to open all the windows for a few hours.

While I wouldn't call it a pleasant smell (kind of sickly sweet) it's not anything I would call a "rhino fart." Maybe a diabetic rhino.

14.jpg

Mmm... Maker's Mark...

I think you mean Member's Mark....

At any rate, my only (so far!) batch was made with juice with ascorbic acid; each bottle was shaken; and I used Red Star Champagne yeast, because LHBS didn't have any Montrachet. So we certainly have confounding variables here. However -- the smell was delicious, with no sulfur detected.

I have had no sulfur smells at all from the batch I have, but I too shook the heck out of the first 2 gals while mixing in the corn sugar I used. The other thing I did different from the original was D47 yeast. I used Mott's unsweetened 100% apple juice, from concentrate, Vitamin C only ingredient besides apples and water.

I just made a batch using Member's Mark and Montrachet yeast, shaking only the bottles dextrose was added to, and mine smells like rhino farts.

tree top, cane sugar, montrechet, and a overly healthy shaking and i get the sulfur. at least throughout the cooler i'm fermenting in.

conclusion. aeration is probably not getting rid of it.

I aerate all 5 gallons, (Didn't realize I wasn't supposed to)

I add the lightest brown sugar I can find (it makes it more tart).

I have always only used Montrachet yeast.

My neighbors have remarked on the sulphur smell, but they don't mind, they know what I'm doing. :)

Besides the fact that I had whiskey on my mind this morning, it seems we haven't yet figured it out. It looks like it could be the juice, though.

Thanks for all the input. I'm eager to hear what others experienced, as well.

TL

Organic store brand apple juice, pasteurized yes, ascorbic acid yes (I think its vitamin C sir)

Cotes de Rhone yeast - it was in the house

Shook every half gallon, not just the ones with some corn sugar.

No rhino farts, no sulfur smell.

It looks to me like the only commonality so far between all the folks without the sulfur smell is the use of juice with ascorbic acid/Vit. C, although people who have used yeasts other than Montrachet seem not to have had the smell, either.

So maybe either ascorbic acid or a different yeast will prevent the smell. For my next batch, I'm going to do everything the same with the exception of the yeast: I'll use Montrachet this time. I should be making it this weekend, so I'll be able to report soon.

E

True, but those of us who bought 'juice' at the store don't know what state the orchard was in, or what varieties of apples got combined in the vat.

I went with EdWorts admonition to stick with an apple juice that tastes good before it is fermented, bought five gallons of the third brand I tried.

Meijer brand juice (large supermarkets in the midwest) corn sugar and Cote des Blancs yeast with nutrient and no sulfur smell at all.

I am curious to know if the people that had hangovers as a result of too much Apfelwein also had the sulfur smell. I have always heard that a hangover is not because of the "good" alcohol but because of the other "bad stuff".

I'm not concerned about using a different yeast. The Missus and I like the Montrachet product too much to start fooling around with another yeast. Right now, it looks like I need to stick with the juices I've used and hope those farmers keep it down on the sulfur. Either that, or make the grand sacrifice of a couple teaspoons of yeast nutrient. :)

TL

I used Allen's. It's a local brand in Quebec made by Lassonde. It had ascorbic acid in it.

The juice got aerated a lot since I had to empty 17 containers (1.36L * 17 = 6 gallons).

I made a yeast starter (3 fl. ounces water at 104F) with the Lalvin EC-1118.

It has been fermenting almost 4 weeks and I have never got a bad smell out of the airlock (that is filled with Sodium metabisulfite (campden tablets) only a slightly apple-y smell.

Had mine fermenting in my bedroom for 5 days and no rhino farts...

At this point I feel like I am missing out....maybe just morbid curiousity

Just another data point:

I used Kroger store-brand pasteurized juice, with vitamin C added.

Dextrose added per EdWort's recipe.

Montrachet yeast, rehydrated before pitching.

Five days in, fermenting nicely, no rhino farts.

Of all the Apfelwein I've made, I have never noticed the rhino farts... it does certainly smell like fermenting apples, but not an unpleasent smell at all...

Every batch has used Surefine brand apple juice (with ascorbic) and Montrachet, although I have tried different sugars...

And not a hangover yet, even after some nights consuming as much as 3 liters per person... ok, one night, and that was a mistake, but still no hangover...

TexLaw --------- What recipe did you use, Scott?

Used Treetop, followed EdWort's recipe as best as I could
I did aerate quite a bit when mixing though. Still no off smells, unless you are right next to air lock

Stirred up my second batch last Sunday afternoon. The first batch started fermenting in the mid 60's ambient temp. No really bad smell. This second batch it got back up into the low 80's yesterday. This morning I woke up and it smelled like an egg salad sandwich factory all thru the kitchen and living room. The smell has subsided from the airlock now.This was with the Lalvin 1116 yeast.
AP

Folks,

I've only completed one batch of Ed's apfelwein, and I've only pitched one other. So far, though, we've avoided the "rhino farts" without adding yeast nutrient. We could just be fortunate, but just in case, I thought I would mention a few deviations from Ed's original recipe that may make the difference:

First, I've used juice that contains ascorbic acid. It's what I find, it's awfully yummy, and it's cheaper than the other stuff. I don't know why ascorbic acid would make a difference (other than some funky organic molecule thing that I've forgotten). Even moreso, I don't know that it does make a difference, but it's a deviation from Ed's original recipe, so I note it here. Perhaps the collective experience can confirm or dismiss this possibility.

Second, I've used Hill Country Fare (i.e., HEB's store brand) and Maker's Mark (i.e., Sam's store brand) juice. I know I read in the nearly 2300 posts in the apflewein thread that someone else did the same. Perhaps these juices don't have the sulfur content of Tree Top? I don't know, but it's just something else to note. If you used HCF or Maker's Mark juice, please chime in and help confirm or dismiss this possibility.

Third, I aeriated nearly all the juice, rather than about a gallon. In fact, all but about the first half gallon of juice gets a good shaking before it goes in. It occurred to me while dissolving some of the dextrose that yeast likes oxygen to get started, so I went ahead and shook it all up, pouring about half of one bottle into one of the empty bottles for shaking. Yes, it's a little more hassle, but shaking is fun. Of all the possibilities, this one makes the most sense, as the rhino farts seem to be a symptom of stressed yeast (thus, the yeast nutrient solution). I'm curious to hear what the rest of you have to say.

So, any thoughts or (even better) experiences to add? I could do without the rhino farts, and I'm just wondering if I've been lucky or if there's a better reason.

TL

I uses HEB apple juice with absorbic acid, aerated as you did, montrachet wine yeast, and definately have rhino fart smell...In fact Im glad I found this post because I have answered a question I asked in another forum...

Folks,

TL
I used Tree Top brand apple juice (as per Ed Wort's recipe) And with the exception of adding yeast nutrient, yeast energizer & a little xtra DAP (diammonium phosphate), the original recipe was maintained. Only 2 gallons of juice were shaken/areated (to disolve sugar) and both for only about 1 minute or less. I was BARELY able to detect any sulphur odor, even when I put my nose right up to the airlock for a good whiff. Even then the BARELY detectable stuff was only present for a day or two... And I do mean BARELY. This stuff is fermenting under my desk as I type this & has done so from the beginning with NO discernable sulphur smell without putting your nose up against the airlock. That's my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

Bacon grease! Bacon grease! (to southern-ize a Yankee expression.)

I finally used Ed's (THANKS Ed - BTW- for sharing your recipe) original Apfelwein yeast, Montrachet, in the 6-gallon batch of Apfelwein that I started yeast-erday (get it!).

And, today, I am less than impressed!

This had better taste way better than my batch with EC-1118, or the four other packets of Montrachet are going to be experimented with in bread dough!

I did vary Ed's recipe a little. I used 2 pounds of cane sugar, instead of corn, and I added 6 teaspoons of nutrient to the process.

Thankfully, the gas isn't rotten-eggy, but it may be even worse. It's kicking out major sickly-sweet apple-ie goodness gasses that burn my nose.

To make matters worse, I put the carboy right next to the table my computer is on!

This gas is KILLING me!

I'm ready to surrender...I'll gladly accept less taste with less smell!

Pogo

Pogo: Sounds like it's working. <LOL> I've read that cane sugar will impart an even more "cidery" taste to things. I'm starting to think that MAYBE 1 of the keys (tho not the only one) to eliminating the sulphur smells with montrachet is added DAP (diammonium phosphate); it's just a thought. That's my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF. :)

I used Motts pasteurized with ascorbic acid. Shook only the portion with dextrose and used Montrachet yeast. It smelled like a fart alright but I don't know if I'd call it sulphur. It smells more like an onion fart. If have a White Castles restaurant in your town, you know what I'm talking about. It lasted 5-6 days and went away. Now it just smells like apples.

Oh yeah, I have the fart.

I used 2.5 gallons of Meijer brand apple juice (no ascorbic acid)
1lb Dextrose
2pkt Montrachet yeast
Most of the apple juice probably got aerated when poured into the better bottle.

Fermentation was slow to start, so I moved it into my room. When I woke up the next morning it wreaked. I took a shower and got some clean air, came back to my room and it really hit me. It is like a sewage line burst all over my room. I moved it back to the basement where it's much cooler but when I came home from work I swear I could lightly smell it. I'm in a pretty big house so any solution as to maybe containing this would be nice.

Sulfur is a good description.

Stirred up my second batch last Sunday afternoon. The first batch started fermenting in the mid 60's ambient temp. No really bad smell. This second batch it got back up into the low 80's yesterday. This morning I woke up and it smelled like an egg salad sandwich factory all thru the kitchen and living room. The smell has subsided from the airlock now.This was with the Lalvin 1116 yeast.
AP

I followed Edworts recipe (TreeTop apple juice corn sugar and Red Star Montrachet yeast) and I am fermenting around 70 degrees. On the second day, I am starting to get a sulphur "rhino fart" (although I admit I havent been around any farting rhino's to confirm the smell) smell to my room. What temp is everyone fermenting at?

I think temp is key, not type of apple juice. I had mine fermenting the first day @73ish and was blown away by the Rhino's. Moved it to 65 degree room, smell instantly went away, just appelly goodness.

I think temp is key, not type of apple juice. I had mine fermenting the first day @73ish and was blown away by the Rhino's. Moved it to 65 degree room, smell instantly went away, just appelly goodness.

Thats what I was thinking.. I moved mine outside (the garage) and it cooled down to about 65 and it was fine. The smell went away after a couple days. It might just be a stage it goes through as well. This is my first batch.

I've got my first batch fermenting right now pitched 11/11

I used Great Value brand 100% apple juice (apples, water and abscorbic acid) with montrachet and 2.5lbs of dextrose. The only shaken bottles were the 2 that I put the dextrose in. It started out in the garage and we got a large temp drop (sub 60 in the garage) so I moved it inside stays around 65-70. No smells yet. I know I'm still early in the process but when does the gas rhino usually start coming around?

UPDATE: I left work today around 11:20am and it smelled fine, inside temp was ~65 degrees. I got home from work, indoor temp was ~70 and a rhino definitely farted in my brew closet.

edit: I will read temp and test the odors again when I wake up and go to the gym, if it smells I'll move to garage (cooler temp) while I'm at the gym and test smell when I get back

On my first batch of apfelwein and I used Ed's recipe although I only used 3 gallons of treetop and added 2 gallons of trader joe's unfiltered apple juice. I have the egg smell although it's not rotten just a bit eggy with apple hints. Not unbearable, but not pleasant like it was this morning. I started mine last night, and it's churning away today. I think mine may have been due to the temps being a bit too high. So I've moved the carboy w/ shirt on it into a tub of water, and put the fan on it. Temps are going down and I hope that unpleasant smells will too.

I just made a batch using Member's Mark and Montrachet yeast, shaking only the bottles dextrose was added to, and mine smells like rhino farts.

Same here, although, I've not found a definition of the specific smell of a rhino fart, and someone else mentioned a diabetic rhino. Mine just smells like rhino got a hold of a nice batch of apples and politely only passed a little gas

Back