American Wheat Beer Sterling Gold (3.5% AG, Light and Zesty)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale-05
Yeast Starter
Prior Slurry
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
90 (Pils Malt)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 Days at 67 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 Days in Keg at 40 degrees.
I floated this recipe out there on the board prior to brewing. I was looking for something light (around 3.5%) and zesty with a fuller flavor. A few go-rounds and some advice from David_42 to add some Rye Malt, and Sterling Gold was born.

I may be guilty of posting too many recipes, but none is ever posted until they’re brewed and reviewed by my drinking partners. (Believe me, there are a lot more recipes that didn’t make it to the database).

This is a quick beer (easily from grain to glass in 2-3 weeks if you’re kegging). It will probably replace my Centennial Blonde as a year-round house beer. This beer is light, very crisp an flavorful. There is a nice "bite" to the beer that is very clean...not spicy. The Rye malt really ads a nice dimension. The orange bitter is not noticeable at all and the coriander lies just underneath enough to hint at a wit style beer. It seems that all of the additives just seem to balance out and add a nice dimension, and not an obvious flavor to the beer.

This was my first experience wit Sterling hops and I'm sold. Clean. Crisp. Slight floral aroma. Very subdued, but flavorful. These could easily be used to replace any of the noble hops that are in short supply right now.

I attenuated a bit more than planned so ended up with a 3.6% beer.

This one is definitely a do-over. High in flavor, crisp and clean, low in alcohol and a nice session beer for the warmer months that lay ahead.

Batch Size: 11.50 gal
Boil Size: 15.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.034 SG
Estimated Color: 3.6 SRM
Sterling_Color.jpg
Estimated IBU: 17.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Sterling_Ratio.jpg
Ingredients:
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
12.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)
1.50 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Sterling [7.50%] (90 min) (FWH)
1.00 oz Sterling [7.50%] (5 min)

0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min)
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 10.0 min)
2.00 tsp Black Pepper Corn (Boil 10.0 min)

Safale-05 American Yeast

Sterling_Hydro.jpg
Two weeks from grain, this beer is ready.
Sterling_Pour1.jpg
Sterling_Pour2.jpg

Just kegged this and force-carbonated a glassful on the side to taste. Very tasty indeed after only two weeks. Three thumbs up (two from me, one from SWMBO).

Thankyou very much Biermuncher. Now that the sun's back, I can see myself making (and consuming) a whole lot of this.

I used a PM version, hacked around a bit to suit a smaller batch size and use what I had to hand.

(just in case anyone wants it as a starting point, here is the variant I used):

Sterling Gold PM version (original AG from BierMuncher)

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 6.50
Anticipated OG: 1.035 Plato: 8.74
Anticipated SRM: 4.0
Anticipated IBU: 18.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
23.1 1.50 lbs. Pilsener Belgium 1.037 2
46.2 3.00 lbs. Generic Pilsen LME 1.034 2
15.4 1.00 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
7.7 0.50 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20
7.7 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Sterling Whole 7.80 15.7 First WH
0.50 oz. Sterling Whole 7.80 2.6 5 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Tsp Black Peppercorn Spice 10 Min.(boil)
0.40 Oz Coriander Seed Spice 10 Min.(boil)
0.40 Oz Bitter Orange Peel Spice 10 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Looks awesome, the blonde is a winner in my house, cant wait to brew this one!

I did a beer influenced heavily by this recipe this past weekend, but subbed in Grains of Paradise for the peppercorns. Still in primary, obviously, but I have very high hopes for this. The GoP smelled absolutely wonderful when I crushed them; peppery, but kind of fruity, I've heard the "citrus" descriptor used and would not disagree. From all accounts, you've got to use them in extreme moderation; I went with a half-teaspoon of crushed; the HBS shop sells them in two-gram packs, I bought two packs but used about one pack, so about two grams went in there.

I had mine sitting at room temperature for the primary, so that's round about 70, give or take a couple of degrees either way. Secondary was 37 degrees.

One week in each, tasted just fine to me.

I know this kind of a newb ? but what is the reasoning for the low temperature secondary and the "normal" temperature primary?

I know this kind of a newb ? but what is the reasoning for the low temperature secondary and the "normal" temperature primary?

A lower (cold) secondary is known as crash cooling. It helps the yeast to fall quicker and the beer to clear better.

A lot of people like to leave the beer in the primary for an extended period 2-3 weeks and then straight to a cold condition bright tank like a keg, or a secondary they can chill.

what does "bright tank" mean? Can i use just a regular glass car boy?

just a side note..I made this a week ago yesterday, it started fermentation by the time I woke up the next morning and I still have lots of airlock activity and the fermentation "swirl" goin on. Not to mention some great smells in my fermentation room.

I just sampled the first bottle of this batch, and it's great! I made it to bring to a family crabfeast, and the coriander and citrus flavors are going to go really well with spicy blue crabs. Thanks for a great recipe, BM! :mug:

any chance of someone modifying this for extract
This should get you pretty darn close:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.78 gal
Estimated OG: 1.036 SG
Estimated Color: 3.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 85.7 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 9.5 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.8 %
0.50 oz Sterling [7.50%] (80 min) (First Wort HopHops 13.9 IBU
0.50 oz Sterling [7.50%] (5 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
0.33 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.33 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Black Pepper Corn (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

Cracked open my first bottle last night. It doesn't taste anything like I have ever tasted before. The first bottle through me off, but after that, they were all great.

Don't let the_bird give you any more crap about the 3%'ers. ;) This beer is great when it's 102F outside.

Thanks for the recipe.

Don't let the_bird give you any more crap about the 3%'ers. ;) This beer is great when it's 102F outside.

:D

My permutation of this beer went over extremely well at a party recently. I didn't include the orange peel, which I think was a mistake; it really needed another element to flesh out the flavor, and I think the orange would be nice and complementary to the grains of paradise I used. I actually picked up some sweet orange peel (not the bitter) for a re-brew that needs to happen pretty soon.

:D

My permutation of this beer went over extremely well at a party recently. I didn't include the orange peel, which I think was a mistake; it really needed another element to flesh out the flavor, and I think the orange would be nice and complementary to the grains of paradise I used. I actually picked up some sweet orange peel (not the bitter) for a re-brew that needs to happen pretty soon.

How were the GOP and how much did you use?

Very good. Just about two grams, if they measured right at the LHBS. I love their flavor, kind of a fruity, peppery, spicy goodness. I'm thinking they'll be wonderful with the orange peel.

I'm considering brewing this recipe but I don't want to use the corriander or pepper. Without the "zesty", is this recipe solid enough to hold its own?

I'm considering brewing this recipe but I don't want to use the corriander or pepper. Without the "zesty", is this recipe solid enough to hold its own?

Get your hands on some GoP, grind them up, and take a whiff; it's a wonderful aroma. It adds a really nice element, and use them in moderation, so that they give a bit of kick without being dominant. I got nothing but glowing feedback, even without the orange peel (and yeah, I'm really regretting deciding not to use that).

Get your hands on some GoP, grind them up, and take a whiff; it's a wonderful aroma. It adds a really nice element, and use them in moderation, so that they give a bit of kick without being dominant. I got nothing but glowing feedback, even without the orange peel (and yeah, I'm really regretting deciding not to use that).

Yeah I'm definitely interested in using GoP, in some capacity. Maybe I'll roll with orange and GoP on this one...:mug:

I made this with the GoP instead of the peppercorn....one of my favorite beers I've made so far....unfortunately I made this for the father in law for fathers day so I only got a couple of beers off of it (and of course the two 750 ml i saved for myself.) Definite remake...probably this weekend......and this time a 10 gallon batch.

I made this with the GoP instead of the peppercorn....one of my favorite beers I've made so far....unfortunately I made this for the father in law for fathers day so I only got a couple of beers off of it (and of course the two 750 ml i saved for myself.) Definite remake...probably this weekend......and this time a 10 gallon batch.

So I'm guessing the FIL like it?

So I'm guessing the FIL like it?

funny you should ask...he called me last night after I wrote that last post to tell me he went to go refill his glass and there was no more left...he wanted to know if he had to wait till next fathers day to get some more...and he offered to pay for the ingredients if I make him some more...so I guess he did :mug:

I gave one to my Guinea Pig, I mean my neighbor. He's a Coors Light Drinker, but will drink good beers as long as they aren't dark, and has to stay under about 40IBU's.

He loved this beer. Once again. Great Beer.

BierMuncher, what do you think some alternative yeast would affect this recipe? I am think ing of doing a European Ale yeast like Wyeast 1338 or a Danstart Windsor Ale yeast? I have not been real satisfied with my Safale experiences, but those where wheat beers.

Any thoughts?

BierMuncher, what do you think some alternative yeast would affect this recipe? I am think ing of doing a European Ale yeast like Wyeast 1338 or a Danstart Windsor Ale yeast? I have not been real satisfied with my Safale experiences, but those where wheat beers.

Any thoughts?

I've not used those strains, but as long as they are a simple, clean tasting yeast that flocculate well, you should be golden. (get it...golden???)

BeirMuncher,

I have just picked up all the ingredients to do this brew tomorrow. I did get the GOP instead of the Black pepper corn.

I have never used the corriander and bitter orange peel.

Do I crush the bitter orange peel, coriander and GOP or pitch it as is?

BeirMuncher,

I have just picked up all the ingredients to do this brew tomorrow. I did get the GOP instead of the Black pepper corn.

I have never used the corriander and bitter orange peel.

Do I crush the bitter orange peel, coriander and GOP or pitch it as is?

The orange peel should be crushed already, or at least broken in to pieces.

You always want to crush your spices, so give them a good rolling with a rolling pin or run them through a coffee grinder.

Be sparing with that GOP. It is powerful stuff. You can always add more to the secondary if you need. You're looking for a "hint" of spice. :mug:

The orange peel should be crushed already, or at least broken in to pieces.

You always want to crush your spices, so give them a good rolling with a rolling pin or run them through a coffee grinder.

Be sparing with that GOP. It is powerful stuff. You can always add more to the secondary if you need. You're looking for a "hint" of spice. :mug:

I have 2 grams of GOP. Should that work or do you have a recommendation?

I really appreciate your help on this.

Back