1st Year Hops Cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppingC

Reaction score
Just trimed both plants. Should i cut the shorter vines? Do i just need one string vine or can it produce many? Thanks first time grower.

cv (419x700).jpg

c (419x700).jpg

Isn't it about time to start cutting them back? I've harvested mine, but the bines are still up. I'm letting them store up more energy before the frost hits.

Are you asking how many bines you need growing per rhizome planted?

Yeah how many vines. I got a late start on mine and there still growing. Not too cold here in nc. Should I let them go a little longer before it gets really cold?

Yeah how many vines. I got a late start on mine and there still growing. Not too cold here in nc. Should I let them go a little longer before it gets really cold?

I didn't trim back any of my shoots. I took the advice of the owner of hopunion and just let 'em all come up. My bines aren't that bushy, I got quite a few hops from first year plants and they smell great. I just tamed them up the string(s) as they grew.

That works. It all depends on your trellising system. My cascades are growing up aircraft cable running up a pole. I allow 4 - 5 bines per line.

Regarding the arbor that the OP showed us. I would do like 2 on each side. Once they are established next year those hops are going to be sending up dozens of little shoots all season. If you let too many grow it will get tight. And of course, that invites disease.

Back