freezer help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffMongoloid

Reaction score
Ive been debating on building a son of fermentation chamber or buying a freezer to control temps.

Ive settled on the freezer and have been looking on craigslist for a cheap alternative... I found this ad
http://scranton.craigslist.org/app/3858769845.html

There is 2, one is $35 and the other $75 but both are $75, I'm not sure how that works but I'll figure that out later.

I've never bought a used freezer. Any advice or tips when looking at a used freezer to make sure it works ok?

Thank you in advance

I've never bought a used freezer. Any advice or tips when looking at a used freezer to make sure it works ok?

I'd suggest having the person you are buying it from plug it in a few hours before you plan to look at it. Grab a refrigerator thermometer from the local hardware/home center and put it inside while you BS with the seller.

If it is loaded up with frost like a lot of older freezers that will be a pretty good sign that it's working. If the temp inside is 10F or below after about 5 minutes then it is definitely in operational condition. Check the condition of the seal around the door. Frost will not be an issue to you but condensation will. A beat-up door seal will let a lot of air in and out and lead to inefficiency and high amounts of condensation. (Some condensation will be unavoidable and a tub of DampRid will help with that.)

One note, though...keep in mind the space required for the total number of fermenters and secondary fermenters you may have in use at any given time. Buy a freezer that is big enough that you won't outgrow it. I found a freezer for $150 that is about as big as they make and have never regretted it. I have room for three primaries + 1 secondary + a few bomber bottles in long-term storage + leftover malts in vacuum sealed bags.

I'd suggest having the person you are buying it from plug it in a few hours before you plan to look at it. Grab a refrigerator thermometer from the local hardware/home center and put it inside while you BS with the seller.

If it is loaded up with frost like a lot of older freezers that will be a pretty good sign that it's working. If the temp inside is 10F or below after about 5 minutes then it is definitely in operational condition. Check the condition of the seal around the door. Frost will not be an issue to you but condensation will. A beat-up door seal will let a lot of air in and out and lead to inefficiency and high amounts of condensation. (Some condensation will be unavoidable and a tub of DampRid will help with that.)

One note, though...keep in mind the space required for the total number of fermenters and secondary fermenters you may have in use at any given time. Buy a freezer that is big enough that you won't outgrow it. I found a freezer for $150 that is about as big as they make and have never regretted it. I have room for three primaries + 1 secondary + a few bomber bottles in long-term storage + leftover malts in vacuum sealed bags.

Thank you for the information, i will certainly use this

You peaked my interest when you recommend going bigger.... The issue i have with getting a bigger one is i live in a small apartment and am concerned about space. I found An older 22 cubic foot one below. But that seems a bit overkill

http://poconos.craigslist.org/app/3889562757.html

What size freezer do you have?

One note, though...keep in mind the space required for the total number of fermenters and secondary fermenters you may have in use at any given time. Buy a freezer that is big enough that you won't outgrow it.
Best advice in this thread so far.

Im already regretting my build, and it's not cooled a batch yet. With capacity of only two primaries and room for a 5gal keg and 5lb Cyl... though a steal at what I paid.. I wish i had held out for a larger one..

Best advice in this thread so far.

Im already regretting my build, and it's not cooled a batch yet. With capacity of only two primaries and room for a 5gal keg and 5lb Cyl... though a steal at what I paid.. I wish i had held out for a larger one..

I understand that but i just don't have the room

I understand that but i just don't have the room

Go with what you do have the room for. The important thing is to get that unit in service with an STC-1000 wired up to it. Once you start precisely controlling your ferment temps, you'll take your brewing to the next level.

Later, if you move to larger living quarters, keep the smaller unit for use as a cold-crash/lagering chamber and get a second, bigger one for fermenting.

Go with what you do have the room for. The important thing is to get that unit in service with an STC-1000 wired up to it. Once you start precisely controlling your ferment temps, you'll take your brewing to the next level.

Later, if you move to larger living quarters, keep the smaller unit for use as a cold-crash/lagering chamber and get a second, bigger one for fermenting.

Excellent counsel on that point. You can't fit 10 gallons of anything into a 5 gallon bucket! Get what you can afford and what will fit into the space you have available.

In answer to the question mine is 57 w x 28 d x 35 h (outside dimensions)- probably somewhere around 25 cubic feet inside. I have an area outside my garage that I can keep it plugged in winter and summer (I live in central California so keeping it shaded from the afternoon sun is my biggest concern).

The one in your link looked like a good size and might just be a perfect compromise. The only problem with most decisions like this one is that you learn a lot AFTER you make the purchase! (I've learned a lot about old Ford tractors after buying one that I'm still working on every weekend! LOL) You can learn a lot from forums like this but you still will need to take the plunge and learn from your own successes or screw-ups.

I do sincerely wish you well my friend.

Excellent counsel on that point. You can't fit 10 gallons of anything into a 5 gallon bucket! Get what you can afford and what will fit into the space you have available.

In answer to the question mine is 57 w x 28 d x 35 h (outside dimensions)- probably somewhere around 25 cubic feet inside. I have an area outside my garage that I can keep it plugged in winter and summer (I live in central California so keeping it shaded from the afternoon sun is my biggest concern).

The one in your link looked like a good size and might just be a perfect compromise. The only problem with most decisions like this one is that you learn a lot AFTER you make the purchase! (I've learned a lot about old Ford tractors after buying one that I'm still working on every weekend! LOL) You can learn a lot from forums like this but you still will need to take the plunge and learn from your own successes or screw-ups.

I do sincerely wish you well my friend.

Thank you all for the responses... There had been some great advice and i appreciate it... I think I'm gonns go with the one on sale at home depot... The 7'2 for $169...

Is it that much better/cheaper to wire up a stc-1000? Over getting a johnson or ranco?

Is it that much better/cheaper to wire up a stc-1000? Over getting a johnson or ranco?

If you can handle some very basic wiring, the STC-1000 is an excellent dual-temp controller and, at $19 on Amazon, much less expensive.

I use three of them, two in controller outlet boxes and one hard-wired into my keezer. Great little units.

If you can handle some very basic wiring, the STC-1000 is an excellent dual-temp controller and, at $19 on Amazon, much less expensive.

I use three of them, two in controller outlet boxes and one hard-wired into my keezer. Great little units.

I'll have to look into making one of theses.
Im not horrible with wiring but i think its just confusing me.... I think i need to find a parts list and detailed directions and i should be find

Is this the one i want?

ForumRunner_20130710_183448.png

Personally, I'd be more inclined to spend a bit more and get something in decent shape that doesn't look like it has been left outside in the elements.

5 ft should handle one 6.5 gallon bucket fine.

I'd take along a bucket/carboy with airlock just to be sure.

Time to build an STC-1000 controller box. :D

5 ft should handle one 6.5 gallon bucket fine.

I'd take along a bucket/carboy with airlock just to be sure.

Time to build an STC-1000 controller box. :D

It might be big enough... Today, but will it be big enough next week... The effort in building the STC controller, and a collar for head room is not insignificant.

I had to purchase new taller 6.5 buckets to get two batches in my new ferm chamber.. and all that made me realize... I should have done this ONCE with a larger freezer to begin with.

So now on the hunt for a second unit :D

Back