How does my mash tun look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerrg

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just built this today. it took a while to find everything, and I also locked my keys in the car in the process . Anyways, how does it look?

Image006.jpg

Image012.jpg

Image019.jpg

Image021.jpg

I thought it came out pretty good.

peace
-gw

beergears said:
What is the white piece at the end of the braid...?
(I am still undecided about my braid termination, trying for KISS...)

FWIW, I have a similar braid in one of my vessels, and I just folded the end over itself and crimped tight with a pair of pliers, 3-4 times. Works perfectly, and can't get any simpler than that.

S

The instructions I had called for a 2 gallon cooler, but I couldn't find one so I went with a 5 gallon? Should I have still gone bigger? Also I paid about $45 for it all total including the cooler and I bought all my parts at lowes.

As for the white thing on the end of the braid, that's thread seal tape. I tried to cut off all the fraid ends of the braid, but it was taking way to much time and not doing that good of a job, so I just wraped some tape around it so it wouldn't scract the cooler which could then leave places for bacteria to grow. Good idea, bad idea? or just a not needed idea?

peace
-gw

Anything before the boil is not usually a worry for nasties ;?)

Guess you could grow some spores, but the 60 minute boil usually works well.

Cheers,

KY Dan F.

Am I correct in assuming you are building a cooler for partial mashes? If so, the five gallon size is more than enough. You would actually be able to do some mid-gravity all grain batches in there as well.

A 2 gallon would be ok for a PM batch and the 5 gallons are GREAT for PM and light grain bill Ag batches.
10 gallons is better, it wont be long and you will want to upgrade.
I started out with a 20 gallon and I'm already thinking of going to a larger one. But I can't find anything larger that I wont have to sell the wife to buy.

wow... 20 gallons? that seems pretty big to me. And yes I am making this for doing a partial mash. This will be my first attemp at a none extract beer so hopfully it will turn out alright.

peace
-gw

I think that what you have done is awesome! Would you being willing to share the directions that you used? Despite your brief story about your Lowes experience, and the car keys- you have made this look Really clean and easy. Great photos too.
I'm getting anxious now. SWMBO is gonna be rolling her eyes again soon.

gerrg said:
The instructions I had called for a 2 gallon cooler, but I couldn't find one so I went with a 5 gallon? Should I have still gone bigger?

That depends on the beers you like to make. I initially used a 3 gallon cooler which worked great for PM, and swapped the parts into a 5 gallon when I switched to AG. My biggest beers are around 1.055, so it fits my needs just fine. I'm not crazy about really high alcohol beers, but should I decide to make one I'd probably just throw in a few pounds of DME.

Nice job BTW, looks very clean. You're going to love partial mashing, but I bet you'll find it's basically a "gateway" to going all-grain!

oguss0311 said:
I think that what you have done is awesome! Would you being willing to share the directions that you used? Despite your brief story about your Lowes experience, and the car keys- you have made this look Really clean and easy. Great photos too.
I'm getting anxious now. SWMBO is gonna be rolling her eyes again soon.

sure, I just used the directions that pointed to from the wiki on partial mash. The directions can be found here. the nipple I bought might have been to short, or at lest if it were longer it might have been easier, but it only needed to be about 1/4 longer so that it would have been easier. All in all thought it came together really nicely. Also note in the instructions the the "Watts FloodSafe Auto Shutoff Connector" is simply a piece of braided hose. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask. I'm not an expert, but I did just make one. Gook luck!

peace
-gw

gerrg said:
wow... 20 gallons? that seems pretty big to me. And yes I am making this for doing a partial mash. This will be my first attemp at a none extract beer so hopfully it will turn out alright.

peace
-gw

You did good in making this and it's going to work GREAT for the PM brews.
It will even work very well when you want to venture all the way to the dark side.. :D

Gerrg, looks great, planning my build and hope to do all grain soon.

FSR402 said:
But I can't find anything larger that I wont have to sell the wife to buy.

You won't get any serious offers without pictures. ;)

BlindLemonLars said:
That depends on the beers you like to make. I initially used a 3 gallon cooler which worked great for PM, and swapped the parts into a 5 gallon when I switched to AG. My biggest beers are around 1.055, so it fits my needs just fine. I'm not crazy about really high alcohol beers, but should I decide to make one I'd probably just throw in a few pounds of DME.

Nice job BTW, looks very clean. You're going to love partial mashing, but I bet you'll find it's basically a "gateway" to going all-grain!

+1 I just built mine this last week, and I was able to get my hands on a 5 gallon rubbermaid, so that is what I went with. Since the majority of my beers are 1040 - 1055, it should work just fine for me. If there ever comes a time that I want to move up to a ten gallon or larger, I will simply pull out the hardware, and convert the 5 gallon into a jockey box.

Regarding the discussion of how to terminate the braid, if you swap the barb just inside the cooler with a brass T and TWO barbs, you can do a large loop with the braid, and you don't need to worry about how to terminate it.

yeah, I think I saw a picture of someone doing that here at HBT. I thought that was a pretty clever idea. If I ever do upgrade, I'll probably go ahead and get that peice and just make one big loop of my braid.

peace
-gw

rabidgerbil said:
Regarding the discussion of how to terminate the braid, if you swap the barb just inside the cooler with a brass T and TWO barbs, you can do a large loop with the braid, and you don't need to worry about how to terminate it.

Quite true! I also lined my braid with a slotted length of tubing, to give it some structure and keep it from being flattened or otherwise distorted. It's quite snug on the barbed fittings, no need for hose clamps. This is the inside of my 3 gallon cooler, but the 5 gallon is rigged the same way.

9557-screen.jpg

BlindLemonLars said:
Quite true! I also lined my braid with a slotted length of tubing, to give it some structure and keep it from being flattened or otherwise distorted. It's quite snug on the barbed fittings, no need for hose clamps. This is the inside of my 3 gallon cooler, but the 5 gallon is rigged the same way.

9557-screen.jpg

DUDE...
That looks exactly like the inside of my 5 gallon,
even down to the double stainless washers on the inside.
grape vines stink alike.

illnastyimpreza said:
ok So I'm looking to start assembly of my own Brewing gear.

Is a Mash tun a good thing to start with ??

what else will I need for your bassic beer?

If you are going to do PM or AG batches then yes you will need one.
But if you are talking extract batches then spend the money on a good kettle and brnner. (will need those no matter what anyways)

Back