Thermowell for STC probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_Climber

Reaction score
I stopped by my local brew supply shop and was about to buy the thermowell/stopper they had, but found out my STC1000 probe would not fit down the thermowell...

So...

Which thermowell works with the STC1000 probe.

From reading other threads, it sounds like the Brewers Hardware thermowells work...

http://www.brewershardware.com/24-Stainless-Steel-Thermowell-TWS24.html

I Just want to make sure these thermowells work before I order somthing that I can't use. I have one of the orange carboy caps with 2 nipples..this is what I plan on using..

Can someone confirm these thermowells work...or any other comments?

I have used thermowells and taped the probe to the side of my carboy with some insulation over it. I have another stc controler so for the fun of it I tried both one time and there was for all practical purpuoses there was no difference. Just thought I would through that out there.

Do anything special like putting thermopaste inside the well?

I was thinking about buying a cheap meat thermometer and taking it apart..... super cheap thermowell.

Corny dip tubes are just about exactly the right size. If you have extras, you dip the end in a bit of flux, crimp, drop some solder in and heat, it should seal up nice.

Has anyone had issues getting a good airtight seal using carboy caps with the stainless thermowells? I have blowoff tubes running off of the carboy caps, but I am seeing no active bubbling in the sanitizer container. I checked everything, and it seems that I have things as tight as I can get them.

There is definitely active fermentation going on. I pitched about 18 hours ago, and there is a nice krausen on both batches. Any thoughts?

Do anything special like putting thermopaste inside the well?

I was thinking about buying a cheap meat thermometer and taking it apart..... super cheap thermowell.

I fill the temp probe well with starsan, drop STC probe in... and let it go.

But my termo well is homemade from SS tube, and I am fermenting in buckets..

I just fly cut a second hole in the lif for a large stopper, froze a second stopper and machined it for the thermo well.

The down side is removing it all when it's time to remove the lid at the end of fermentation... (I do gravity checks with thief though the air lock stopper hole)

Back