Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.) don't do it. How do you know it's too much until you try it? I made many test batches of the beer and if less rye made it better, the recipe would have less rye! At least try it as is before you change anything.

2.) Hallertauer

Thanks I'll stick to the recipe. This one won't be cooking for a few weeks since it's now #2 in the brew queue.

This is the least amount of hops I've used in any IPA, and it's so hoppy we are nicknaming it jop juice.

Denny, or whoever, obviously it's been a few years and the hop yields are different now. How many IBUs should I be shooting for this recipe -- ~65 IBUs?

I use Tinseth for my hop calcs. It seems to be the most accurate for full boils and when I've had beers analyzed for IBU they've been very close to what I calced using Tinseth in Promash.

The recipe on the very first page of this thread is accurate for 5 gal., although the stuff in bold at the top mis-estimates the OG and IBU. Just use the rest of it and remember 1.073 and 75 IBU.

From the horse's mouth... no offense Denny.

Brewed this about 3 weeks ago and poured my first pint tonight. All I can say is...Well done Denny, well done!

I took a few bottles of this to a homebrew club meeting. The recipe was instantly recognized by a club member who happens to brew for Lavery Brewing out of Erie, PA.

Sorry if this has been covered already, but is the 21 days in primary and 21 days in secondary the suggested aging for this brew?

How long does Denny usually dry hop this?

LHBS was out of Denny's yeast, unfortunately, so I used 2 packs of American Ale II in a 1L starter and pitched the whole thing. It's been raging for a day now at about 64 F.

EDIT: I found the answers to this on page 22, thanks search function!

Brewing today and got a major stuck sparge. Wow the rye malt is really gelatinous. Not sure what the solution would be rice hulls, pump (gravity drain now), thinner mash or maybe all of the above. Anyway got what wort I could retrieve using a cup and strainer and boiling now. I'm sure the efficiency took a hit but hopefully not too severe. :p

That's weird...there's not that much rye in there and in all the batches I've made I've never had a stuck run off.

I used a 5 gallon circular cooler/mash tun with a cpvc manifold for a 3.5 gallon batch. Never had a stuck sparge before so I'm thinking rice hulls might help with the stickier grains. Do you know if rice hulls detract from efficiency?

I used a 5 gallon circular cooler/mash tun with a cpvc manifold for a 3.5 gallon batch. Never had a stuck sparge before so I'm thinking rice hulls might help with the stickier grains. Do you know if rice hulls detract from efficiency?

Nope, they don't.

Glad I have another 5.5 gallons of this in primary! I brewed this on 10/13 and I only have 8 more bottles. Never used this yeast before, I really like it. It took almost a full month to clear, but the beer is WONDERFUL if you're patient. I'm kegging my next batch, and will be dry hopping in keg with .75oz of columbus.

Denny is da man!

Glad I have another 5.5 gallons of this in primary! I brewed this on 10/13 and I only have 8 more bottles. Never used this yeast before, I really like it. It took almost a full month to clear, but the beer is WONDERFUL if you're patient. I'm kegging my next batch, and will be dry hopping in keg with .75oz of columbus.

Denny is da man!

Use at least an oz., maybe 2. You won't regret it.

Another week or so before full carbonation needed. Thank goodness the cold crash cleared up the brew. Lost a little bit to the trub deities but not nearly as much as the wort coming out of the mash had me thinking.

Best wishes to all my fellow brewers and family/friends.

Opened a chilled one tonight. The dank aroma from Columbus hops brings to mind being in moss covered woods. Taste is smooth and barely bitter with good mouth feel. Swallowing leaves the tongue/mouth pleasantly dry. An interesting IPA to keep in the mix.

Thanks for the recipe.

Barely bitter? Wow, it should be a lot more than that!

Probably not the best choice of words but the bitterness is not sharp. Very drinkable and leaves a pleasant dryness. Some IPAs have a distinct sharpness. I'll have others sample and get their opinion. Being a long time IPA drinker, my palate is assuredly "biased" (abused?) from higher IBU brews.

Hi all, I was just about to dry hop for a week- but just realized I was given Columbia instead of Columbus.

I have 1 ounce of Columbus pellets left over, so it's not too bad.

Should I just limit myself to the 1 ounce of Columbus, or add 1 ounce or 2 of Simcoe, amarillo, cascade, or columbia?

thanks!

I also have older Whole leaf Columbus- which smell fine just subdued and lackluster.

Assuming this is your first try I would just do the 1 oz of Columbus. Bad mistake by the LHBS though so I feel your pain. I'll be brewing this one myself in a week and am going 100% off the recipe as it's my first time. Having read this 31 page thread I have to laugh how often people want to substitute the recipe on their first go round. Just follow the recipe at least once! After that you can add/subtract to your preference but all the questions about lowering rye % or changing the yeast or hops were quite amusing. I'm sure Denny has tried more nuanced experiments to this recipe than all of us posters combined yet he ended with THIS recipe so let's all just at least try it once the original way.

Did a bitterness comparison with another IPA mid 60s IBU and indeed the Rye IPA has similar bitterness. Think the rye malt distracted the taste buds. :cross:

Yeah, I brewed at least 12-15 test batches before settling on this recipe. It's hard to know what to change for your tastes until you brew it the way it's designed.

I've got this recipe on the horizon. I recently did a rye-ish beer with rye flakes and it was mildly spicey and good (will do it again) but I just ordered what I need for this one and hope to get it in the next 2-3 weeks.

Had the rye IPA whilst making (and eating) fried fish burritos. This is a great brew with food since it doesn't overwhelm. Good one Denny. :)

This is one of the few beers I really can't wait to brew again. I had thoughts of doing it this weekend, but I think I'll do it next so I can use Denny's yeast. Safale 05 version was delicious but I want to try it the way it originally intended.

This is one of the few beers I really can't wait to brew again. I had thoughts of doing it this weekend, but I think I'll do it next so I can use Denny's yeast. Safale 05 version was delicious but I want to try it the way it originally intended.

Darn, what a nice thing to say! Thanks!

I really should bottle one for a friend. It is so good I don't want to share. I've been nursing this keg for a while. I will brew it again. And again. And again.

Denny what are your experiences with underpitching 1450? I didn't think I'd have the opportunity to brew this weekend but it turns out I can. I will get a starter going this but i'm going to make a 11 gallon batch so I'm sure i won't reach the total I should be going for.

EDIT: Also, you batch sparge correct? So for FWH you just throw the hops in the kettle and batch sparge normally? It seemed to work well last time i brewed it but I am very curious to your process with this beer. It will be brewed quite often in my house i'm sure.

Yes, you're correct on both the batch sparging and the FWH technique. As to underpitching, I'm afraid I can't tell ya because I haven't done it! Sorry....generally underpitching will lead to fewer esters, but I have no personal experience.

Yes, you're correct on both the batch sparging and the FWH technique. As to underpitching, I'm afraid I can't tell ya because I haven't done it! Sorry....generally underpitching will lead to fewer esters, but I have no personal experience.

Thanks for the insight, do you let the flameout hops steep at a certain tempo before cooling or just cool immediately?

Back