Brown or Green Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamns7

Reaction score
I would like to know EVERYONE'S opinion on this. I already know brown does better at "protecting the beer from light" but there are sooooo many (especially european breweries) who use green bottles.

So which is better? Brown, green or no difference?

Cheers! :mug:

Brown is generally considered better for preventing skunking the beer. However, I like the Grolsch flip tops, so I use plenty of green. I just keep them out of the light and I have no issue.

In my mind, it's a bigger issue for 6-pack beers and singles being displayed at retail after taking them out of the master carton. When I worked at a brewery, we even designed our 6-pack carriers at heights to protect the bottles from light once removed from the master carton (even brown bottles)

I use brown, green and clear. But the only time they hit the light is when I put them in the fridge to drink so for me there is no difference

during a port visit to Hurghada, Egypt 20 years ago, we were served Stella (definitely NOT Artois), which came in either a brown bottle or a green one and no apparent reason behind the different colors.

when we asked someone, their answer was, "well... the brown bottle is brown and the green bottle is green. is same same"

so, from the Egyptian expert; they are the same same

I only use brown bottles but that's really because all the beer I buy commercially happens to come in brown bottles. IMO/IME, it really doesn't matter if you are storing your beer in a dark location but if you don't then darler is definitely better!

I store them in a box after bottling.....in the back of a dark closet. Then off to the fridge....where again it is dark. They never see the light of day until I pour them in a glass so it really doesn't matter what color the bottle is. I have used brown, clear, green....same same. Unless you are storing them in your living room not in a box, I really don't think it makes a difference what color the bottle is.

I have different shades of brown bottles,dpending on the brewery. I have some German bottles that are more like amber with a touch of green. They all go in craft 12 pack boxes that're completely enclosed.

brewmadness said:
I store them in a box after bottling.....in the back of a dark closet. Then off to the fridge....where again it is dark. They never see the light of day until I pour them in a glass so it really doesn't matter what color the bottle is. I have used brown, clear, green....same same. Unless you are storing them in your living room not in a box, I really don't think it makes a difference what color the bottle is.

I bought a case of Molson Ice, put a six in my beer cooler behind my bar, another six I placed on the bar where it was in the six pack holder, and was exposed to light through a window, but no sun light shown on the green bottles. After a week I drank the six in the cooler, then placed the six on top of the bar in the cooler and when I went for one, it was noticeably more skunked. Nothing near the point you couldn't drink it, but it's presence was known.

I have a few cases of Grolsch bottles I use, but I do like brewmadness and make sure I keep them in a dark environment, and never have a problem.

Back