Blow-off Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mic

Reaction score
I plan on using 6.5gal buckets as my primary fermenter doing 5gal BIAB batches. Depending on the brew...would a blow-off be absolutely needed with 1.5gal of head space? How much head space is typically needed?
Thanks in advance.

I plan on using 6.5gal buckets as my primary fermenter doing 5gal BIAB batches. Depending on the brew...would a blow-off be absolutely needed with 1.5gal of head space? How much head space is typically needed?
Thanks in advance.

This varies greatly from brew to brew from one time to another, there are numerous factors that affect fermentation, some of which are out of our control. Simply be prepared for it with a blowoff tube.:mug:

Absolutely needed? Probably not unless you were doing really big beers or using a yeast that worked fast and furious. However, given how inexpensive tubing is, I wouldn't take the chance - just set-up a blow-off during the vigorous part of fermentation and then swap to an airlock after is you want (but I usually just leave the blow-off in place until I rack it out.)

Totally depends on the brew. That being said, I use a 6.5 gallon glass carboy for a primary, and I brew 5 gallon batches. I end up needing a blowoff on just about every batch that I do.

The first time you paint your ceiling/walls/carpet/possessions with krausen, you'll decide that it's just safer to plan on a blowoff every time.

Thanks in advance.

might not be absolutely needed, but i tell you (from experience) that Murphy is a home brewer.

if you don't have the blow-off tube, you will need it.

if you have it, you probably won't.

which problem do you want to have, some extra tubing, or a blowout?

:)

btw... the previous two posts are from different people... but clearly we have learned a similar lesson

Yep, this is truth. And do not doubt that the blowout will occur while you are asleep, or at work, or otherwise unprepared to deal with the volcano of foam.

Yep, this is truth. And do not doubt that the blowout will occur while you are asleep, or at work, or otherwise unprepared to deal with the volcano of foam.

or in the worst of all worlds on the road for business, and not able to get home for a couple days, thereby completely annoying SWMBO

:)

The only 3 times I didnt use a blowoff, I ended up having krausen all over my spare room. Now I use them on anything from a barleywine to a cream ale. Hell, I brewed a mild the other day and it got into the tube.

My local home brew doesnt even sell blowoff and they will tell you that you can just put a 1/4 tube on your airlock. I kindly called BS and went to home depot years ago. better safe than sorry in my opinion.

Doesnt anyone use fermcap? I do and dont require a blowoff tube, but im wondering if this causes any ill effects? Ive gotten good results using it, although have had recent trouble with astringency, im wondering if there is any correlation, bc for the life of me i cant tell what is causing it...

Back