Weird fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethcros

Reaction score
Hey folks I need some assistance. I brewed biermuncher's Oktoberfest on Sunday. Pitched with us-04. Noticed a little activity in the airlock the first night but not a lot. I haven't gotten my keezer/fermenter completely dialed in so the first day the ambient temperature was high, like 74 or 75. I didn't notice any activity the next three days. I know s-04 ferments furiously especially at higher temps so I took a gravity reading. It was 1.052 which was the same reading as when I pitched the yeast in the first place. I pitched some s-05 on weds because it's what I had and nothing is happening. My fermenter is now at like 60 but I'm still working on it. I haven't taken a gravity reading yet. This is really odd for me. Anyone have an idea?

EDIT:

It's possible the S-05 is just starting now...
Also, maybe take another gravity reading in a couple days to see if anything happened.

How do you store your yeast?

It's possible the S-05 is just starting now...
Also, maybe take another gravity reading in a couple days to see if anything happened.

How do you store your yeast?

In the fridge. I know s-05 likes warmer temps too, I just can't get my fermenter keezer dialed in because it's so damn hot in my garage.

I've had several different strains take 48 hours to start surface colonization, which is what I use as an indication of activity. I always pitch ales at 72. I oxygenate using aviator's oxygen, about 3/5 of the batch gets oxygen. I wouldn't start repitching until 56 hours. Aerate well and pitch at reasonable temps. If you have a clean process, the yeast will start when it is ready.

I checked the gravity today and it had dropped some so everything seems to be ok just slow, probably because of the low temps?

Back