British Brown Ale Nut Brown AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just popped open my first bottle of this brew. It came out high on the OG so its a bit stronger, over 7% if I remember correctly. All I can say is wow, what a delicious brown. It's still quite young, they've been in the bottles only about a month, so I expect it can only get better from here, now the test of patience.

Has anybody run into a watery taste with this really young?

I brewed a second batch, and although I hit all my numbers, it tasted watery when I took a hydrometer sample.

Seems I got a FG of 1.010 so slightly low.

thx997303 said:
Has anybody run into a watery taste with this really young?

I brewed a second batch, and although I hit all my numbers, it tasted watery when I took a hydrometer sample.

Seems I got a FG of 1.010 so slightly low.

Yeah, my first try with this recipe seemed a little thin to me too. I'm going to throw a little Munich in it next time to big up the mouth feel.

Far from watery or dry with mine, but it finished at 1.012 and had a starting gravity of 1.067. It is very good, with a great body. Maybe your water profile affected the body?

Just mashed in. 1-Gallon AG batch (yes, I only do 1 gallon batches, big whoop wannafightaboutit?). Strike temp met at 158, hit 154 after doughing in, wrapped up in sleeping bag and set the timer for 60 minutes. Updates to follow...

Mashed for 1 hour. Just checked and temp of mash was 148. Looks like I lost some degrees from the 154 mash temp :/

Mashing out (BIAB). Just stirred until I hit 170 and letting sit for 10 min. Will then begin boil and hop additions, ok folks?

Pre-Boil
-2-4.jpg

Boil
-1-8.jpg

Just pitched yeast. Starting gravity 1.051. Sample tastes nice, sweet, malty, and caramel. I reckon this is gonna be a fiiiiiiine brew.

Oophaga said:
Far from watery or dry with mine, but it finished at 1.012 and had a starting gravity of 1.067. It is very good, with a great body. Maybe your water profile affected the body?

Well, no wonder yours doesn't taste thin.. You brewed a beer after my own heart. I always say good beer starts at 1:060. You've got yourself something for your taste buds to stand on. LMAO!!

I assume someone on here has bottled this... I'm a little too lazy to read through EVERY post and couldn't find anything with a quick search.

I plan on bottling and priming with beet sugar. According to the NB priming chart, that is roughly 125 grams for the whole batch. Does this sound okay?

Thanks!

This is a great tasting brown ale. The only problem I had is that 10 gallons didn't last long enough.
Props to the creator of the recipe :mug:

This one sounds good, for sure. I've got it on the short list for brewing soon. I've got a Caribou Slobber (AG) in the fermenter right now and I'll be interested to see how the two compare. Similar but I'm sure quite unique.

Well, we did our first all-grain with this recipe yesterday. Beautiful day, and all-in-all, everything went as planned. When I went to the LHBS, I accidentally got 1/2 lb of chocolate malt instead of 1/4, and they guys there recommended US-05 instead of Nottingham, so I made those two substitutions.

Our mash temp was hit right on the head, and got an OG a bit high of 1.060. I assume this is due to the extra quarter pound of grain and perhaps a little higher efficiency. Any input?

Anyhow, it's in the carboy bubbling away. Nice krausen developing, despite a TON of sediment. This one's definitely going to take a trip to secondary island in a week or so.

:mug:

Just ordered the ingredients for a 12 gallon batch. Not sure if this was asked yet but, would marris otter be fine in this recipe?

Thanks

Bombeque said:
Just ordered the ingredients for a 12 gallon batch. Not sure if this was asked yet but, would marris otter be fine in this recipe?

Thanks

MO would be fine, maybe better

Took another (and the last) gravity reading of our batch. Still at 1.012. Yea! It tastes AMAZING. With the extra .25lb of chocolate malt and (assumingly) a bit better efficiency than the original, we ended at ~6.4% ABV. Super clear already, after 8 days of fermentation. I simply cannot wait to get this thing in a glass.

I'm not sure anyone answered this yet, so here we go again:

Should I carb this to 2 volumes (bottles)? If so, I believe that's roughly 3/4 cups sugar at bottling. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, if I put a few in 22oz bottles, will this same ratio of sugar apply?

I'm not sure anyone answered this yet, so here we go again:

Should I carb this to 2 volumes (bottles)? If so, I believe that's roughly 3/4 cups sugar at bottling. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, if I put a few in 22oz bottles, will this same ratio of sugar apply?

Here you go, save this link:
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

I'd say 2 volumes is perfect. Not sure what you are asking about the 22oz bottles? You mix the priming sugar with the full 5 gallons of beer so it wont matter what size bottle you are putting the beer in. Hope that clears everything up!

Here you go, save this link:
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

I'd say 2 volumes is perfect. Not sure what you are asking about the 22oz bottles? You mix the priming sugar with the full 5 gallons of beer so it wont matter what size bottle you are putting the beer in. Hope that clears everything up!

I guess I was just worried that the different sized bottle would carbonate differently (ideal gas law, pv=nrt). Thinking again, the volume is the 5 gallons of original volume. Duh me.

I'm brewing this up tomorrow. I'm subbing the pale malt for Belgian pilsner malt because I have 30lbs that I need to use up. I'm also adding 1.5oz of roasted barley to dry it up a tad. I'm really looking forward to this one based on all the reviews. Thanks Sparky!

Posting a late update to the beer I brewed using this recipe back in, umm.. June. I have had this on tap for over a month now, and most of my friends that come around to pay homage to the seven nipple Goddess (aka my beer fridge) that lives in the garage, won’t leave it alone. I still plan to buff up the mouth feel with a little Munich, besides that it will stay the same.

Bottled this Sunday... Primed with 1/2 cup (~3oz) beet sugar (Pioneer brand from Michigan). 10 days in bottles, then I'll crack the first one Wednesday of next week!

Cannot wait.

Anyone see issues with not using a secondary on this one? I brewed it 3 weeks ago today and theoretically it should be ready to bottle now. Anyone do this sans-secondary?

I suspect that many (maybe most) people that brew this do so without a secondary. I left it in primary for 3 weeks then bottled. Turned out great.

I always use secondary. Helps clarify any brew. After in primary 5-7 days I rack it to glass carboy and leave there for two weeks. Then straight to kegerator.

I racked this to secondary because we got an unusually large amount of trub. Honestly, about 4 inches of it at the bottom of the primary.

Aaaaaand this recipe is officially amazing. First all grain, carbonated for two weeks and couldn't wait any longer. It's not completely carbonated, but it is enough to enjoy. So delicious. Thanks for the great recipe!

I'm brewing this next. Can't wait, based on all the positive comments in this thread.

I bottled this up today and had a taste. It was very good! I can't wait for a few weeks to try it carbed up!

Brewed this today. Got a stuck sparge and slightly undershot my volumes, but both easily fixed. The Nottingham is bubbling away nicely and it smells delicious.

ForumRunner_20120930_230307.jpg

Does anybody know why BMW's recipe changes the base malt to GP,, cuts out a pound, and comes with 2 packages of notty? Updated recipe, or a mistake?

Back