A question to those who don't like Fuggles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did it taste like dirty, musty basement floor?

I'm so glad I'm reading this thread. I was about to bottle a beer in which I used Fuggles as a substiute for Styrian Goldings. When I started raking it this morning I tasted this off taste and thought the beer might be infected. I read this thead during the day and now I can't positively say that the beer is not infected but rather has that dirty , musty taste.

I'm relieved but disapointed at the same time. I almost threw it away this morning. I guess I will bottle it now.

I'm so glad I'm reading this thread. I was about to bottle a beer in which I used Fuggles as a substiute for Styrian Goldings. When I started raking it this morning I tasted this off taste and thought the beer might be infected. I read this thead during the day and now I can't positively say that the beer is not infected but rather has that dirty , musty taste.

I'm relieved but disapointed at the same time. I almost threw it away this morning. I guess I will bottle it now.

Put yourself in my shoes. I used fuggles on my past 2 British style beers and tossed both batches.

10 gallons of 'good beer' gone to a poor palette and stupid decision-making. Learn from my horrible mistakes-- not yours!

I've used Fuggles, and don't dislike it.....but I also love cilantro. There's nothing particularly strange about it. I've known at least one person who can't stand cilantro, says it tastes like soap to them. This is well-known; it's genetic, and nothing anyone can do about it.

You guys are scaring the hell out of me, I have my first batch of home brew sitting in the primary for the last week and it is an amber ale that used fuggles for bittering.

You guys are scaring the hell out of me, I have my first batch of home brew sitting in the primary for the last week and it is an amber ale that used fuggles for bittering.

Don't worry about it. The chances are you'll like it just fine.

Bumping this one cause I just found it.
Very interesting article in that link to NY Times!
I bet those aldehydes occur in the following too:
1. Patchouli (smells like mould to me)
2. Tea tree oil (yuck. Just short of making me throw up)

I hated cilantro with a vengeance, before my brother showed me how to use it (use the ROOTS, crush them by smacking them with the handle of your biggest knife). He loves cilantro which is also very up front in some Thai salads(the green leaves). I have just learned to enjoy it, as suggested in the end of the article above...

Funny thing is that my brother just can't stand Fuggles in a beer. I bought a pound of Fuggles and pulled it out to let him have a sniff. He almost gagged. I don't mind Fuggles, but I don't think it is all that great, once I use up my pound, I won't buy it again.

Glad you did. Missed it also.

This thread has me wondering if some drinkers would have a similar dislike for (the American version of Fuggles) Willamette?

The funny thing is, I LOVE willamette's aroma when I open the bag. But I don't love the hop variety. I do like it a lot better than fuggles in beer, though.

I have a recipe that is cascade/willamette for flavor hops and it's pretty good. But on its own, I don't like willamette all that much.

I like Fuggles.... I used it oin two batches this last weekend; an English Mild and a Fat Tire Clone... both called for Fuggles.

BUT I do know people who are not fond of it.. or at least they say they are not,,, I never saw stop dringing a beer because of it.

i like cilantro and fuggles. i could eat a handful of cilantro.

regardless of taste, anyone who doesn't like the smell of cut cilantro is a communist. science be damned.

wait, doesn't that make me the communist?

I like to dry hop with Fuggles on some beers.

I like cilantro in food. Never had it in beer.

I like corriander in beer and food.

I like turtles.

Fuggles isn't a taste I appreciate in large quantities but as an addition I like it.
Coriander again in small amounts.
Cilantro I like

I recently brewed a beer that called for a mix of Fuggles and Chinook for flavor & aroma. I liked the smell of the hops out of the bags, but I am about three weeks into the fermentation and the samples taste like ass. It is supposed to be a light session ale, but the hops overpower the malt and lend it an almost skunky quality reminiscent of cheap American/Mexican lagers. This is my first time working with Fuggles in any capacity, and my first with Chinook as a flavor/aroma hop. I don't think I will be coming back to either hop any time soon.

FWIW, I love cilantro and corriander.

Like fuggles, cilantro(most of the time), and coriander

think cascade is a weed that should be nowhere near beer

Latest posts

Back