2 gallon in fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slobby1bjovi

Reaction score
First five gallon batch....I did not have a tube to transfer from my wort into my fermentor. The directions stated to pour until i got down to the chunky stuff in the bottom. I was able to transfer 2 gallon into the 5 gallon batch before getting to the "chunky stuff". Is this a normal amount?

"I did not have a tube to transfer from my wort into my fermentor"????????

Are you talking about pouring your boiled and cooled wort into your fermenter ??

bosco

I think Nordeast mis-read your post, assuming you are talking about transferring from the kettle to the primary:

There is no issue pouring the contents of the kettle into the primary although I recommend you use a large kitchen strainer to filter or, if a carboy a large, screened funnel. You will have to empty it a few times as it will clog but by doing this you are also aerating the wort as well-don't forget to sanitize the strainer/funnel!

Also, assuming you only got 2 gallons or so I will also assume you are doing a partial boil in which case you would be then topping off with water to the 5 gallon mark, mixing thoroughly, taking gravity and pitching yeast. 2 gallons is a little light, usually you want to achieve about 3 gallons and then top off with 2. Some of this will depend on your process, boil off, etc.

When the beer is fermented and ready to be bottled is when you will need the racking cane to transfer to the bottling bucket.

Hope that helps!
Cheers!

I think Nordeast mis-read your post, assuming you are talking about transferring from the kettle to the primary:
!

I think you're right.... I heard clumpy stuff and thought trub. My bad. OP... just dump it all into the fermenter.... it's after fermentation that you need to rack to keep from oxidizing. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Duboman nailed it on the head! I was transferring to from the kettle to the primary. next time I will dump it all into the fermenter. But thanks for the auto siphon tip for transferring to the secondary Nordeast!

Slobby1Bjovi,

Did you have a full 5 gallons in your boil or is it a kit that you bring up to 5 gallons with chilled water once it is in the fermenter?

bosco

Duboman nailed it on the head! I was transferring to from the kettle to the primary. next time I will dump it all into the fermenter. But thanks for the auto siphon tip for transferring to the secondary Nordeast!

You can use it to transfer from kettle to fermenter too if you want to avoid all the material in the wort. That's what I do. Either way, pour or siphon, works from kettle to fermenter.

BoscoBeans

I had 2 1/2 gallons in the boil, cooled it and transfered 2 gallon to the primary and added water to get it to 5 gallons.

Thanks Nordeast!

Back