Kick Ass Kolsch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milholen

Reaction score
Just tried a Kolcsh I brewed with my girlfriend for x-mas and the taste difference between 2 weeks and 3 weeks bottle conditioning is phenomenal! This is among the best beer I've ever had. I guess it'll only get better with time too -- This was my first batch in 4 years and I had forgotten the incredible taste over commercial beers -- this is what it's all about!

milholen said:
Just tried a Kolcsh I brewed with my girlfriend for x-mas and the taste difference between 2 weeks and 3 weeks bottle conditioning is phenomenal! This is among the best beer I've ever had. I guess it'll only get better with time too -- This was my first batch in 4 years and I had forgotten the incredible taste over commercial beers -- this is what it's all about!

Thats awesome, shoot us your recipe if you dont mind

sorry guys I can't find the recipe -- I found it on the Internet somewhere -- not sure which one I actually used. Too bad too because it's all gone now! I need to start using a brew log or something.

I brewed a Kolsch and it is easily my worst effort so far. I just spent a few hours organizing my recipes yesterday and I can't for the life of me find the recipe for the Kolsch, though.

I am not sure what the problem was with it. It tastes yeasty and I don't like the flavor of the hops. It improves a little bit a few minutes after it is poured. It is definitely drinkable, but that's about it.

I wish I could find a commercial variety so that I could see what it is "supposed" to taste like.

I've had a similar experience with brewing Kölsch. I tried several varieties when I was near Köln and it was one of the best tasting beers I have ever had. The color was very light but the flavor was amazing. Needless to say that my experiment in brewing it was not as good. The flavor was ok for about 3-4 weeks after bottling, but it has declined since then.:confused: I would like to try an all grain Kölsch recipe, but that's way down on my to do list.

Next up: Imperial Pilsner
In secondary: Amber Ale (currently unnamed)
Drinking: Scottish Ale left over from Christmas

Psymn

this is one from my local HBS. i've done it twice and it was a good brew. the 2nd time i was able to cold condition it for 4 weeks, and it made a noticable difference.

KOLSCH

A pale colored German ale - Great thirst quencher!
5 lbs. light unhopped malt extract
2 1/2 lb. German pilsner malt
1/4 lb. German light crystal malt
1/4 lb. German Melanoidin malt
1 1/2 oz. Hallertauer hops (bittering)
1/2 oz. Hallertauer hops (flavoring)
1/2 oz. Hallertauer hops (finishing)
1/2 tsp. calcium chloride
1 pkg. Nottingham Ale Yeast(Wyeast #1007, #2565, #1338 or White Labs German Ale or Dusseldorf Alt Yeast)
1 pkg. Bru-Vigor (yeast food)
3/4 cup corn sugar (for priming)
O.G. - 1.048
F.G. - 1.012

Back