Added a little too much priming sugar. Can I save it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gubernaculum

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my second batch ever. Made the Midwest Irish Red Ale kit.

Completely unaware of the fact that priming sugar calculators exist, I primed a few days ago with 5 oz. of corn sugar for 5 gallons of volume.

The OG of the beer was ~1.043 and the FG was 1.014. Primary fermentation was only 2 weeks (yeah, I know I jumped the gun -- was following the kit directions and didn't know any better, lesson learned for next time). It is now bottle conditioning at 72 degrees F.

I ran it through a priming calculator, and it says that I will be carbonating with approx. 2.6-2.7 volumes CO2 (if indeed fermentation was complete, which in hindsight, I'm not totally sure about).

Is there a way that I can stop the carbonation before it gets to 2.7 volumes? I don't really want 50 bottles of gushers...

I know that refrigerating the beers will make the yeast go dormant and stop the carbonating, but will this affect the final flavor of the beer (i.e. if I left the bottles in the fridge for a few weeks, would the flavor be as good as if I left them at 72 F and just dealt with the gushers)?

Thanks for helping out a newbie!

With 2 weeks in the primary I'd venture to say fermentation was complete. I think you'll be ok just letting them condition. Also, 5oz of corn sugar isn't that bad.

Agreed, 2.7 volumes is fine for a lot of styles. Some Belgians are carbed to 3.5+ volumes. RDWHAHB etc :mug:

Correct me if I am wrong, but some Belgian styles go up around 4 volumes of CO2. I think you'll be fine too. What kind of yeast did you pitch? The Wyeast Irish Ale attenuates 71-75% according to the site. 71% would be 1.013 according my calculations and given that this was an extract batch, I wouldn't be surprised with a little lower attenuation. Just pop one every few days and if they start getting too carbed toss 'em in the fridge and stop the conditioning!

I used the Munton's dry yeast packet that came in the kit.

Thanks for the feedback, all! I'll RDWHAHB. :)

5oz is the standard for 5 gallons for most things.
If everything else is right it won't cause gushers or bottle bombs.

you can carb to style later.

no salvaging needed. 2.7 volumes is on the upper end of carbed, but certainly not dangerously so. you'll be fine - and soon you'll have a nice, effervescent beer. prepare to enjoy.

Agreed, 2.7 volumes is fine for a lot of styles. Some Belgians are carbed to 3.5+ volumes. RDWHAHB etc :mug:

yes, but those same belgians (Duvel, Maredsous, Chimay, etc) are bottled in thicker-than-average bottles. your standard beer bottle (i.e. what 99% of homebrewers are using, if they bottle) shouldn't be carbed much above 3. the OP's 2.7 volumes will be fine.

i dont think you need to worry. you shouldnt have bombs anyways. RDWHAHB :tank:

I almost always use about 5 oz of corn sugar for 5 gallons of beer. That's a good amount!

Two weeks for fermentation, with a FG of 1.014, is perfectly fine. That's about how long I leave my beer in the fermenter.

It sounds perfect.

So, just maybe a stupid mistake, forgetting to convert from L's to gallons...

I used about 10.5 oz white crystal sugar for 5.2 gallons of IPA...now the question, do I:

a. uncap (with caps still resting on top), leave for 5-6 days and recap?

b. pour back into fermenter, try again in a week?

Thanks.

yes! once it's carbed to your likeing (id open a bottle 1-2 times a day to check), refridgerate your brew. this will make the yeast cells go dormant and youll have your carb. let it warm up again though and risk the yeast re activating.

Back