Maris Otter + Amarillo SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just swung by the Basement Brewhaus in Providence to pick up some ingredients for a BIAB SMaSH. Luckily they just got a fresh batch of Amarillo hops in so I nabbed meself some.

Recipe for 5 gallons:

Malt:
10# Maris Otter 2-row

Hops:
0.5oz Amarillo FWH
0.5oz Amarillo 30 min
0.5oz Amarillo 15 min
0.5oz Amarillo 0 min
1oz Amarillo dry hop in secondary

Yeast:
White Labs California Ale

Mash Profile:
Single Infusion, 90 min @ 154 F

This being our second all-grain batch we want to keep it simple. I do have a bunch of extra specialty grains laying around (Biscuit, Aromatic, Munich, Honey) but might hold off on these til the next batch and make something more complex. Thoughts/suggestions?

This is purely my opinion, but the team of Honey Malt and Amarillo Hops is awesome.

My take...
Add 12 oz of Honey Malt and move your 30 minute addition to the FWH. The added bitterness will balance with the Honey Malt.

But, then it wouldn't be a SMaSH.

beerkrump, this is a point well taken. I'm trying to adhere to the "strict" rules of SMaSH... but tempted to throw in some of that honey malt now! I'll take your advice on the 30min -> FWH.

Cheers

Back