Stone Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbachunk

Reaction score
I know I have seen it around here that people clean the bottles from stone but I cant seem to find out how everyone does it. I have had them sitting in oxyclean for the last 3 hours and they show no sign of cleaning off. Any help?

Do you mean remove the labels? Stone and New Belgium have both switched to fancy newfangled labels that are literally impossible to get off. I have personally given up trying and just reuse them as is.

StarSan, not oxyclean. Some of the painted on labels on Stone bottles can be removed by soaking in a strong starsan solution for a few days. It doesn't work for all of them, but most of the ones I've tried it works.

undiluted CLR will work as well, but you need to do it outside. That stuff is pretty Toxic. I had a few that it didn't work on, and it does leave a bit of a Ghost label on there.

Ah so it doesnt really sound like it is worth it anymore as I only have a few of them. Thanks for the replies

Some of the painted on Stone labels on mine are starting to come off after about the 6th cycle of use. But it's not coming off easy ;-)

Leave them on and they will come off if you keep reusing them. I have found they come off with repeated starsanning. Either that or use them as giveaways and keep the unlabeled ones for reuse.

I am just not that hard up for bottles that I want to take a razor blade or store them in a solution for days (space is cramped).

Thanks again for the replies

I've let stone bottles soak in star san a few days and I actually have better luck getting the label off after letting it dry first. Then if its going to come off easy, it pretty much wipes right off with a towel or your finger. Smells slightly sulfur-y.

Back