Tuak-malaysian rice wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copper

Reaction score
I want to share a great rice wine that I have had the pleasure of experiencing.

Tuak is a wine made in Malaysia brewed from glutinous rice, sugar, and a blend of yeasts they call 'ragi'. It is typically made a few months prior to the Gawai festival and other special occasions. Traditionally it is consumed only a few weeks after fermentation, and the first quaff I had of this was <i>harsh</i>! However I was able to smuggle a couple liters back home which I set aside and forgot about for almost 2 years.

I turned the bottles up early this year and cracked the bottles. I had not really stored them properly so the corks were dried out. I strained the cork from the wine and a few friends of mine finished what was left. Let me tell you that wine was smooOOooth and sweet! I didn't take any gravity readings then, but I'm fortunate enough to have another liter and a half aging in some screwcap bottles that I got back in February.

I'm attempting to get some more detailed brewing information through family in Malaysia, but if anyone in shouting distance knows anything more about tuak, please share!

Thanks pilgarlic! That looks about right with a couple of clarifications.

Step 2 states that the powdered yeast should be added to the cooked and cooled rice. This may go without saying, but any excess water from the rice cooking should be strained off. I recommend using a rice cooker; it doesn't leave any extra moisture in the pot. I say this because I can't cook rice. It comes out more like porridge which isn't what you're going for here. The rice should be al-dente.

I am also trying to nail down if any particular type of sugar is used that would impart a characteristic flavor to the wine. Most recipes just say sugar, or fine sugar so I'm guessing refined white cane sugar from the supermarket would be most commonly used because it's cheap and accessible. Palm sugar is also used quite often in some Asian countries and could also be an alternative. I'm sure any of the various sugar sources for brewing could be used as well. Some experimentation could be in order!

Hi there,

Just a little pointer here. i would really recommend that you steam the glutinous rice rather than use a rice cooker. steaming the grains yeilds a more accurate aldante rice. where i come from we soak the rice for about a day then we use a narrow pot and a steaming basket.

Yes when they say sugar.....what they really mean is what is available to them at the time. Palm, sugarcane are all available to us. but now we find that commercial castor sugar is cheapest. so we use that.

seriously u can put anything inside it to add a variation and flavour. fruits are good, so are raisins.

So really, you are just limited by your imagination.

Give it a go. it's quite powerful too.

Chicks dig the drink. hint hint

Wee, my home town's brew made its way here. I've used thirstyblogger's blog recipe for my 1st homebrew and it turns out great...Asians got their rice to ferment!!

read the traditional rice wine thread in the sake forum. Some of those guys arenailing it down to a science.

Back