3 months in primary.. too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underwaterdan

Reaction score
Well 3 months ago I started a brew, and put it in my basement to primary. For a few reasons, namely the birth of our new baby girl, I have been unable to secondary it or keg it. I am going to try and keg it today or tomorrow, figure I will skip the secondary. Is there anything special I should know in advance, like it is already bad from sitting on the yeast cake too long...
BTW it s a hoegarden clone from AHBS.

go ahead and keg it should be awesome by now it could be your best brew yet

Most times people say to forget about autolysis. Three months is a while, but even then I don't know if any harm will be done, and why not find out by drinking it? :)

People have left beers in primary (and posted on here) for 6 months with no problems...Many of us have gone 6 weeks with no problems....you kept in a cool basement, and I assume you used fresh yeast at the time....

The beer is fine.

Since I'm in school and all of my classes are two months long, I've been brewing and bottling in between sessions. I haven't been racking to secondary because I'm lazy. And I haven't noticed any problems at all.

So I'd say that three is probably fine, too.

If it tastes good now (and about 99.99% chance it will), keg it. You can force carbonate and go straight to the tap. The flavor will change slightly as the CO2 settles in, but not much.

Okay thanks for all the answers. I am going to keg it in 2 hours when I get home - and will be drinking it in about a week.(I usually leave it at about 18 psi for a week then turn it down a tad and it is good to drink). I can't wait to enjoy this, it is a special brew for me.

Back