Fermentation in an 85 degree room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonboll08

Reaction score
How high of a room temp can the regular ale recipes take? I usually have the A/C on at 75 and the spot where I can put my primary without being disturbed by my two young children is warmer than that. I checked the temp in that corner of the room and it is usually 83 degrees. Is that too warm and if so what kind of problems can I expect? I can't really run the A/C colder as my wife is not too keen on the idea (especially since it's for my beer).

at 85 degrees your going to get some interested esters. Its pretty warm for yeast but it should still ferment. I would suggest making a swamp cooler or putting it in a rubbermaid container with a shirt that you keep soaking with water. Some people use a rubbermaid with frozen soada bottles of ice to chill down the whole thing but either way you should chill it down to atleast below 78 if not lower

do this for the first 12-14 hours after you pitch yeast and you'll be fine during the real crucial times...

fermenting.jpg

freeze some water bottles and chuck them in...also a fan blowing over the t-shirts will help wick the water off..I can get my fermenters down to near 60 degrees...

do this for the first 12-14 hours after you pitch yeast and you'll be fine during the real crucial times...

fermenting.jpg

freeze some water bottles and chuck them in...also a fan blowing over the t-shirts will help wick the water off..I can get my fermenters down to near 60 degrees...

+1. You want to keep those temps between 60 and 70 degrees for most ales. I highly recommend the swamp bucket method detailed by Revvy.

Thanks guys,
I had a batch of blonde ale turn out tasting funny and the fusul alchohol info from Wikipedia seems to match what I was tasting. I did a Porter after that and the fermentation was over in 2 days with a final specific gravity of 1.022. I will not know if the flavor is off for another couple of weeks. The red ale in my primary was pitched around 12 on Sunday and I just cooled it off right now (Tuesday 3 P.M., San Antonio Time) by the Revvy solution. I may be too late, but won't know for a while.
Will try a Siason next time as my extreme brewing book has a recipe for Ginger Saison and my wife and I both like ginger (I won't tell her, but in truth my favorite was Mary Ann)
Again Thanks and I hope for a good brew.
The pic did wonders for my quick action.
THANKS FOR THE PIC REVVY!

Back