Cheesemaking, Flake salt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurel

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm planning on trying out a batch of mozzarella this week, and the recipe calls for flake salt. Can this be substituted with Kosher salt? Thanks!

Thanks! Looks like I'll be running by the expensive homebrew store tomorrow to get rennet, citric acid and cheese cloth!

BigKahuna - what's your recipe?

I don't remember......I'll look when I get home.

Mostly, follow the rennet directions, once you get a pretty good curd seperation, microwave for 20 seconds at a time and squeeze out the water. Salting as you go unitll it tastes super yummy. This is a nasty messy thing that you just gotta do with your hands, and you'll think you're doing it wrong, but keep going, and it will start to coem together sooner than later.
Then dunk in ice water when you're happy with the consistancy.

MMMMMMMM We made the cheese last night. I got a gallon of raw milk and it was so fantastic. We're definitely planning to do it again, but might try the dried milk/cream route, $12/gallon isn't cheap!

MMMMMMMM We made the cheese last night. I got a gallon of raw milk and it was so fantastic. We're definitely planning to do it again, but might try the dried milk/cream route, $12/gallon isn't cheap!

I use Plain ass old Whole Vitamin D Milk....It's like $4 a gallon now:( Kids drink about 5 gallons a week! :( :(

We added 2.5 tsp of powdered citric acid (should be available at a homebrew or winemaking store) that was diluted, while the milk was still cool.

Once it got to 90º, we added 1/12 tablet of veggie rennet that had been mixed with water, then stirred for almost a minute. After that, we let it come to 100º and let it sit for an additional 5 minutes. Then we spooned the curd off of the whey, heated the whey up, and started dipping chunks of curd and pulling them.

The cheese that we made was a little low on salt, I need to figure out a better way to mix it in, maybe right after the curd is separated from the whey.

Back