Want to make an Olde English 800 clone ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finn

Reaction score
...not really! Man, that stuff's bad. On a lark, a while back, a friend of mine ran six torpedoes of the stuff through his still. It still tasted nasty and his boiler stank for weeks.

But the cops report in my local paper listed somebody getting arrested for guzzling from a 40 of the stuff in the park last week, and it got me to thinking -- has anybody ever actually home-brewed malt liquor? I mean, somebody's got to have done it just for the bragging rights and to make his friends recoil in disgust.

Don't say beer, say BULL!

--Finn

By definition in America, Malt Liquor is a beer over a specified ABV. In other words, most German bocks are labeled as Malt Liquor in the United states because they are too strong to be called beer. Anything over (I think) 5%ABV is malt liquor.

So I guess the answer is yes. Pretty much everybody on this forum makes "Malt Liquor". Of course, most other countries are more enlightened in this regard.

Sir Humpsalot said:
By definition in America, Malt Liquor is a beer over a specified ABV. In other words, most German bocks are labeled as Malt Liquor in the United states because they are too strong to be called beer. Anything over (I think) 5%ABV is malt liquor.

So I guess the answer is yes. Pretty much everybody on this forum makes "Malt Liquor". Of course, most other countries are more enlightened in this regard.

Yeah I questioned this when I bought a six of Carlsberg Elephant Lager. It is listed as Malt Liquor. Ales do not have the same restrictions obviously but the people thay are trying to "protect" with malt liquor labelling would'nt know the difference between an ale or a lager if their life depended on it.

I can remember swilling some cheap malt liquor like Bull or Mickey's big mouths in my juvenile days and I still remember how much they sucked. Definitely not a sipping beer but then I guess they are not after the connisseurs!:drunk:

Regards,
Al

well last night in a drunken stuper I posted on this site if anyone had a clone recipe :eek:ops lol

but you don't realize how much abv they really got until you drink one or two down, then wake up the next morning not realizing how drunk u actually were. I never re-stilled it, just go paper bag style with my friends when we all have a day off to do that and play some rockband.

I hate to admit how refreshing they actually are when they're ice cold out of the refrigerator.
for $1.50 a 40oz... thats a deal, but I would still like to find a clone for it

do you mean like he said when he ran it through his distiller?
would that boost the abv noticeably or just a waste of time?

In theory, you could distill something to purity. Thought there's a point of diminishing returns with everything...

I drank OE 800 a few times as a teenager, just drinking to get hammered. I remember one night... drove to the beach with two girls, a bottle of OE 800 and a bottle of cheap pink champagne. That was a most memorable night.

They both puked in my truck. :p

One of Charlie Papazian's books has the recipe. Here it is:

Olde English 800
5 Gallons

OG: 1.055 (13.5)
FG: 1.004 (1)
ABV: 7%
Color: 4.5 SRM
Bittering Units: 14

3.5 lbs. American 2-row pale malt
3.75 lbs. American 6-row malt
3 lbs. flaked corn
2 HBU (56 MBU) American Cluster hops (pellets) - 105 minutes (bittering)
1.5 HBU (43 MBU) American Nugget hops (pellets) - 105 minutes (bittering)
1/4 tsp. Irish moss
Wyeast 2007 Pilsen Lager yeast

A step infusion mash is employed to mash the grains. Add 10 quarts (9.5L) of 130-degree F (54.5 C) water to the crushed grain and flaked corn, stir, stabilize and hold the temperature at 122 degrees F (50 C) for 30 minutes. Add 5 quarts (1.9 L) of boiling water. Add heat to bring temperature up to 150 degrees F (65.5 C). Hold for about 60 minutes.

After conversion, raise temperature to 167 degrees F (75 C) water, lauter and sparge with 4 gallons (15 L) of 170 degree F (77 C) water. Collect about 6.5 gallons (25 L) of of runoff, add bittering hops and bring to a full and vigorous boil.

The total boil time will be 105 minutes. When 10 minutes remain, add Irish moss. After total wort boil of 105 minutes (reducing wort volume to just over 5 gallons), turn off the heat, then separate or strain out and sparge hops. Chill the wort to 65 degrees F (18 C) and direct into a sanitized fermenter. Aerate the cooled wort well. Add an active yeast culture and ferment for 4 to 6 days in the primary at 55 degrees F (15 C). Then transfer into a secondary fermenter, chill to 50 degrees F (10 C) to age for two more weeks, then lager for two to four more weeks at 40 degrees F (4.5 C).

When secondary aging is complete, prime with sugar, bottle or keg. Let condition at temperatures above 60 degrees F (15.5 C) until clear and carbonated, then store chilled.

I have a feeling that Papa Charlie's recipe would taste a lot better then the real OE. Probably wouldn't be very good, but still a lot better the OE.

And wow, 1.055 to 1.004, that's 92% attenuation.

Rogue makes a malt liquor called Dad's Little Helper. It's a lot like Old English only with a cleaner, crisper taste. That said, it's pretty hard to justify paying 4.50 for a pint of it when you can get so many other good Rogue beers for the same price.

Back