High gravity after 10 days fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjornkri

Reaction score
My oatmeal stout has been fermenting for 10 days now, but is only at 1.020 from 1.050. I was expecting something closer to 1.012. I'm leaving the country for two weeks on Saturday and was hoping to bottle it before then, but now I'm afraid it'll get over carbonated. I guess my options are:

1. Bottle it anyway with less (or no?) priming sugar.
2. Give it a good swirl and leave it in primary while I'm away and hope for the best.
3. (Finally) invest in a carboy and rack to secondary while I'm away.

Any of these make more sense than the others? Something else I should be doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If it were me, I'd give it a gentle swirl and leave it in the primary until you get back. That's just one guy's opinion, though.

What temp are you fermenting at? It could be too hot/cold.

I too would leave it. I've had a finished beer sitting in carboys for a couple of months while I decide what to do with it. Swirl it, be sure it's not too cool, and let it ride.

If it were me, I'd give it a gentle swirl and leave it in the primary until you get back. That's just one guy's opinion, though.

What temp are you fermenting at? It could be too hot/cold.

I too would leave it. I've had a finished beer sitting in carboys for a couple of months while I decide what to do with it. Swirl it, be sure it's not too cool, and let it ride.

Agreed!

Yeap, sounds like your only option right now is to leave it in primary. If you're traveling and want to check on your brew you need a BeerBug :) Here is my porter - http://www.thebeerbug.com/brewdatabase/brews/?brew_id=f9XPSNeHuDK1j3qyK7TPUcQFwOUqGB
He doesn't need that really. He'll leave it alone and it will likely be done when he returns. ;)
You really think this guy is going to drop $250 on a product he needs by Saturday? Is your company actually getting these out in that amount of time?

It was a little more of a playful nudge than a, "buy this by Saturday to save your beer". I read the thread and thought he and others may be interested to know we exist. But yes, we could get a Bug to him (assuming the US) by Saturday :)
Safe travels!

Swirl it and leave it. I never do anything with my beers in less than 14 days anyway, and have often left them in primary for ~4 weeks due to laziness

Longer is almost always better than shorter.

Thanks for your tips, I swirled it and left it. Finally online again and kinda wishing I had a BeerBug to see how it's doing. ;) A week to go, so I'm not worrying and enjoying Italian wine and beer while in Italy, instead.

That absolutely did the trick, bottled it at 1.006 when I came back. And it's delicious.

Back