How long to leave at 30 psi?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khaos

Reaction score
Hey everyone i got a quick question for you all. I had an altoberfest cold crashing for two weeks at 38 degrees and kegged today. Set the keg at 30 psi and am wondering how long i should leave it at that pressure. I usally use this method but leave it for 48 hr. So should i just leave it 24 or stick my standard 48 hr force carb?:mug:

The reason i asked tek is because i usally clear at room temp not 38 and then keg at 30 psi for 48 hrs ..this beer when in at 38 on 30 psi.

I would say do what has given you good results before. If 48 hours has worked for you, then stick to it. The last batch I kegged, I set it to 30 psi for 24 hours, then dialed it down to 12 psi. It took a few more days for the carbonation to be to my liking. I left it at 12 psi throughout the entire keg and felt it was slightly overcarbed by the end. Next time, I will do 30 psi for 48 hours, then dial down to 10 psi. My beer lines are 5 feet long and I usually set it and forget it at 10 psi for 3 weeks. This method usually gives me perfect carbonation but Im not patient enough to wait that long all the time. I also cold crash.

I just did 48 hrs at 30 psi and it was cold crashed as well, but I haven't drawn anything from the keg yet so I'm of no help. I've done this before and it's been fine though.

Depends on several factors, most importantly your target carb level/serving pressure. If your target carbonation level is 2.2 vol, you'll be overcarbed leaving it for 48 hrs. If you're shooting for 2.6 vol, it will be fine. Someone saying " I carb at x pressure for y time and never overcarb" is meaningless if they are aiming for a different carb level than you are.

The FG and ABV also play a role in how long it takes to carb. Lower ABV and lower FG beers will carb significantly faster than higher FG and higher ABV beers.

Juan it's just a 5.4 abv and I took it down to 10psi today and the carb is spot on actually... Head retention is great and lacing is spot on...

Back