Determining Temperature for Serving

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekp83

Reaction score
No, I'm not asking for a guideline/chart that tells me which styles should be served at which temperatures. There are plenty of those to be found! However, what I haven't been able to track down is a guideline for when a beer is likely to be at so and so degrees when left out in room temperature. After 20 mins in room temperature (70-75 F) from a 40 degree fridge, what temp is the beer likely to be around? Oh, and I think getting a thermometer is a little ridiculous, but I might go that route just once to have a timeline for all future imbibing. Any help would be great. Thanks!

58 degrees F is what I was told years ago. Other than that it would be preference.
My preference is any temp as long as it keeps flowing!

This could be quite hard . All containers would dissipate heat at different rates that would also be acted upon by the air movement in room and the humidity ...

Just a note on my hot weather drinking . when I want my beer to stay cold while I am off doing what ever I wrap it in this thing I sort of made . It is a cold pack that I wrapped around a bottle and then froze . I slip the beer in it and wrap a piece of ace bandage around it to hold it an and my stays cold for a long time .

EDIT : Seems to me you are spending far too much time worrying about rates of heat dissipation when you should be drinking . Get a aquarium thermometer and stick it to the side of your bottle , glass what ever and take a look when you take a drink

As long as the beer comes out of the fridge at 42-45F,then it'll warm up in the glass. Just don't frost the glass.

Impossible to chart that calculation... because it would depend on all sorts of variables.

What material is the beer poured into?
How thick is it?
What is the temperature in the room?
Humidity in the room?
How is the room's air flow?
Will you be handling it as it warms?

On and on you could go ad nauseum.

You said, "I think getting a thermometer is a little ridiculous..." but I would argue all of this worry is a little ridiculous...... and the only way you're really going to tell for sure [if you continue to care] is getting that thermometer (or a second fridge to store beer in at your chosen serving temperature)...

:mug:

58 degrees F is what I was told years ago. Other than that it would be preference.
My preference is any temp as long as it keeps flowing!

As I said, "No, I'm not asking for a guideline/chart that tells me which styles should be served at which temperatures."

Impossible to chart that calculation... because it would depend on all sorts of variables.

What material is the beer poured into?
How thick is it?
What is the temperature in the room?
Humidity in the room?
How is the room's air flow?
Will you be handling it as it warms?

On and on you could go ad nauseum.

You said, "I think getting a thermometer is a little ridiculous..." but I would argue all of this worry is a little ridiculous...... and the only way you're really going to tell for sure [if you continue to care] is getting that thermometer (or a second fridge to store beer in at your chosen serving temperature)...

:mug:

The fact that you think I'm "worrying" means you are reading too far into this subject. I'm not looking for an exact chart, just a friendly reference with general guidelines...e.g. 10 mins out the fridge for pilsners, 20 mins for amber ales, 30 mins for oatmeal stouts, etc. If all who have replied so far amount to the consensus, a reference doesn't exist.

Not really,no. there are references to storage temps & the like,but that's about it. no info on wait this long for this one,etc. Maybe use the laser thermometer on the glass of beer when it gets to the temp where it tastes good to you. Make note of it in your brew notes for that beer.

I don't open my brews and allow them to breathe or settle. I go straight from the keezer into the glass. I have the keezer set at 12 C and use a chilled mug. The brew seems to be just fine as it slowly warms to room temp, but most of the time a 12 Oz bottle doesn't last long enough to get much of a temp boost from the environment...

Wheelchair Bob

Back