Sanitzer volume and sanitation techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseL

Reaction score
I just switched to StarSan from IO Star for my most recent batch. I love it, but since it's more expensive than StarSan, I'd like to mix up smaller batches, use a spray bottle, etc. I'm used to mixing up 5 gallon batches of sanitizer and submerging my tubing, autosiphon parts, and other smaller items. For those of you who use smaller volumes for sanitation, how much do you make, and what are your tricks for sanitizing both the inside and outside of your siphoning equipment?

I'm somewhat unsure if you're saying you're using StarSan or IO Star right now. But, for StanSan I use 6mL to 1 gallon of water to make smaller volumes. It's almost exactly the right ratio.

I'm using StarSan now. How do you sanitize a racking cane or autosiphon with only one gallon, since that's not enough to submerge? That's my bigger question.

MEU_32160.jpg

I'm using StarSan now. How do you sanitize a racking cane or autosiphon with only one gallon, since that's not enough to submerge? That's my bigger question.

I'm new to this but I siphon some of the sanitizer solution through it. I then just put the tubing end back in the water and it continuously circulates through the autosiphon.

Back