Pic of My First Brew with Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenbrews

Reaction score
Hey all, my first brew is a Pale Ale kit. It was very cloudy last Sunday but has cleared up quite a bit since then. IMO it tastes pretty good for my first attempt. How does it look, it looks clear to me but how clear should it be?

A mistake I made is that there appeared to be little fermentation activity at the end of the first week so I repitched it at seven days. After doing more research I realized this might have been a mistake. The beer has a definite yeast smell, which I kind of like, but could this smell be due to the repitch or is it normal and will it go away? And does repitching like that affect the taste much?

Also how long can I allow the beer in the primary? I plan to bottle this Friday which will be 19 days. I figured this extra time would allow it to clear up and settle.

And after I bottle how soon is it ready to drink? Should I allow it to condition in the bottles for two more weeks according to directions, or could it be ready before that time?

:mug:

Darren Z

SANY1367.jpg

Seems like it should rest more before bottling, but I'm just a rookie myself. What was the OG?

Once bottled, crack one open after two weeks and see if it has the proper amount of carbonation and flavor you're expecting.

Cheers!

my rule of thumb is, if i don't know any better follow the recipe. i'm still new to this myself, so in order to not funk it up i stick pretty close to what the instructions say.

Remember, just because the airlock isn't bubbling, doesn't mean your yeast aren't brewing up a storm in there!

Once you bottle, the word around here is three weeks minimum in the bottle before chilling and tasting.

In my opinion, the hardest part of brewing is the patience!

19 days for a Mr. Beer kit should be plenty of time. It looks very clear. If your sample tastes good, then bottle it and we'll talk to you again in 3 weeks.

Latest posts

Back