My City Water Analysis - Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoKozak

Reaction score
I'm starting to try to understand water chemistry for brewing, particularly since my city water tastes terrible unless it is filtered. Then, it actually tastes pretty good.

Here's a typical analysis that was just sent. I'm waiting to hear back about an expanded analysis regarding all of the ions, etc.

Can anything really be determined from this? Also, can anyone suggest a good thread on here to help me understand water as a chemistry layman?

TYPICAL ANALYSIS

pH 7.4 to 7.7

Total Hardness 110 to 223 mg / l { 4.6 to 12.9 grains} moderate to high range

Total Alkalinity 40 to 105 mg / l

Total Iron < 0.10 mg / l

Total Manganese < 0.20 mg / l

Fluoride 0.75 to 1.2 mg / l

Ah, I now see the ones at the top of this forum. As far as helpful threads, I assume they are the best.

The range of concentrations listed above are fairly wide. You will need to contact the water company to find out why there is such a wide range of variation. That is important to figuring out if the source is stable enough to rely on. The next thing you need to do is to send a sample off for testing since the water report above is not detailed enough to help with your brewing.

Latest posts

Back