Adding water to primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppenheimer

Reaction score
My primary is a little short due to unexpected boil-off. Would it be okay to siphon boiled water (after it has quick-cooled, obviously) into the carboy to adjust the liquid level?

Sure, that is totally fine. Some people also use store-bought purified, distilled, or bottled mineral water for that task (as it is generally sterile, as long as you sanitize the outside of the container before opening).

Just be aware that hydrometer readings may be unreliable due to insufficient mixing.

I like to boil a gallon or two just for this. Not until recently have I been concerned with hiting my numbers. I would just pour #6 DME and boil.

I'm on day 7 of fermentation. Is there any stage where the beer could be more or less volatile? Obviously, I want to worry about oxidation and infection here, but is there anything else I should be careful of?

I'm on day 7 of fermentation. Is there any stage where the beer could be more or less volatile? Obviously, I want to worry about oxidation and infection here, but is there anything else I should be careful of?

Just don't splash as you add the water. Gently add it, and it'll be fine.

Back