Refill keg without cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mewellsar

Reaction score
Just curiously as my wife will only drink raspberry cider. I have one keg about to empty right when another batch will finish. Is this the one time I could not have to go through the keg cleaning hassle? Just one time I could put the new batch right in and hook it back up to the gas to carb? Maybe?

if the cider displayed no signs of infection...technically, yes, you're good to go.
ideally the new beer should be flavored enough that the raspberries and cider won't creep into the flavor profile.

I typically empty, rinse, toss a gallon star san in, shake it, then dump and fill with the new beer. I don't always tear down posts, poppets and dip tubes. Just when I feel like it needs to be done.

Just don't let the wife know that you skipped washing the keg. It might be the best batch I had ever made but if my wife thought I was serving her from a dirty glass, I would never hear the end of it.

I'm probably too much of a girl, but all I can think of is dishes.

What I mean is this- I had spaghetti yesterday and I'm having it later again today, so why bother washing the dishes? Yuck.

I'm probably too much of a girl, but all I can think of is dishes.

What I mean is this- I had spaghetti yesterday and I'm having it later again today, so why bother washing the dishes? Yuck.

He said the keg will empty and fill it right up.

When you are eating dinner, do you wash your plate and utensils before gettings seconds? :D

I don't see a problem if it's filled up right after kicking it.

Markd27 said:
He said the keg will empty and fill it right up.

When you are eating dinner, do you wash your plate and utensils before gettings seconds? :D

I don't see a problem if it's filled up right after kicking it.

Oh snap!
That's a good analogy.

I am tempted to do this every time a keg kicks. Then I take the keg out of the fridge and start cleaning it. There is a nice bit of yeast at the bottom, usually and some gunk stuck around the keg where the top of thebeer used to be.

I've done this several times without issue - if the beer originaly went into the keg nice and clear/clean and the keg is still nice and clean in there, go for it. I usualy always elect to clean the keg if there's all kinds of debris clinged to the keg walls, as well as lots of sediment at the bottom... which often happends when i keg a beer after 2 weeks in primary while it's still cloudy...

Back