1 BBL Brewery Build ( Brutus Inspired)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally getting some progress updated. This 1st batch of pics are a little out of order from the rest to follow....

The burners are mounted....we only have 2 right now...the 3rd will be removed from our current system at the last minute....along with the 2nd pump.
I polished up the stand with 120 grit on the angle grinder...so now I am mocking up the the gas system.....then I will disassemble and paint the stand.

After that....it will be time to reassemble and get on to the electrical system.

The last 2 pics are of the gas manifold....the stand is flipped upside down.

burner mount 001.jpg

burner mount 002.jpg

burner mount 003.jpg

gas 001.jpg

gas 002.jpg

For the burner mounts I welded these 18 guage flat bar with holes (don't know the actual name) to the frame. These allow me to adjust the burners. I wanted to keep this part cheap and simple, because I did not see the need for an elaborate adjustment system when it will only be adusted once....on initial fire up for fine tuning.

bm1.jpg

bm2.jpg

bm3.jpg

bm5.jpg

These pics are mainly of the stand with the burners and the gas manifold/valves mocked up...but not completely....just hand threaded together to see what fittings we forgot to buy...:)

The 4th pic down is the gas manifold....this was a custom piece of stainless that was made for a water flushing system for soda fountain equipment at my work....it did not work out for them...so they auctioned it off...I got it for $5....cost them $250 to have made.:rockin:

gas 004.jpg

gas 005.jpg

gas 007.jpg

gas manifold.jpg

gas 008.jpg

Another pic of the burners....with manifold down below...2nd pic is of the Regulator set up from the tanks to the manifold. Right now, all we have are the standard BBQ 5 gallon tanks...so we will run them in tandem to increase surface area and limit frost up of the tanks.....and as you can see...they were generous with the black hose at the propane shop....

The last pic is of the Honeywell ignition modules that will monitor the pilots and burners....as well as provide the spark for ignition.

gas 009.jpg

gas 011.jpg

gas 012.jpg

The chiller is a 40 plate model from Dudadiesel.com. They have a pretty great selection.....and are very affordable compared to the usual suspects you see advertised on all the big homebrew supply sites.

Got the chiller mount welded in place. It is a bracket from the scrap metal bin at work....can't remember what it was used for....maybe a vending machine security bracket.....

The holes on the bracket don't match up with the studs on the back of the chiller, so to keep it simple, I will just have a thin gauge bar that spans from stud to stud...basically clamping it in place to the upright portion of the bracket....this will make it even quicker to remove....just loosen a nut and lift it off.

gas 010.jpg

gas 003.jpg

gas 006.jpg

OK....I got the pump mounts welded on the stand and finished sanding up the stand to get ready for paint.

Spent some time with the daughter washing up the stand...she loves helping...my Lil brew buddy.

We used engine primer and paint which is good up to 500 deg. I won't bother to paint the grill tops that will be in direct flame. We went with the "Cast Iron" color....looks pretty cool. After 2 cans of primer and 2 cans of Paint.....I still missed some spots...crappy lighting......sooooo we willl be getting one more can next week to finish it off.

While the paint is curing, I will be sealing up the gas system, and trying to figure out how to mount the pilot burners.

brewstand wash 003.jpg

brewstand wash 012.jpg

brewstand wash 028.jpg

brewstand wash 033.jpg

brewstand wash 039.jpg

Your little "Brew Helper" is adorable!!!!

I've got 5 year old twin girls that love to help Dad make just about anything!

They really love the welding helmets! :)

Great looking stand! Awesome job!!

:) Thanks everyone for all the kind words.....I have an 8 month old girl too...can't wait till she is up and running around...then again I don't want time to go by too fast....which it always does no matter what.

For this weekend, I didnt' get as much done on the stand as I hoped. I had a lot of running around for parts and other red tape sort through. I did spend some time fitting together the rest of the gas system.....so I have most of the trips to the hardware store behind me....at least for this stage.

I received some galvanized metal sheets from a friend and turned them into the "floorboards" for the lower section of the stand. I measured and cut them all to fit today....although my craftsmanship didn't leave me to proud. :) Cutting long lines with a jig saw just seems to leave behind squiggly cuts no matter how many clamps and fences you use. My "shop" is pretty limited in tools...so I did the best I could.

Next I will be pulling them off the stands...smoothing out the edges and painting them. Paint will be the same color as the stands. I will attach them to the frame with some stainless self tappers. This will give easy access to the entire gas manifold and spark modules which will be mounted just below.

See ya next time!!!

floorboards 1.jpg

floorboards 2.jpg

floorboards0001.jpg

floorboards0002.jpg

floorboards0004.jpg

LOL...looking at the last pic on the above post....you can see where I missed spots all over on the paint job....jeeeeezz.....guess I will drag it out in the sunlight for the final coat!!! :drunk:

OK....so I worked on getting the needle valves mounted and the gas system plumbed in this weekend. The valve mounting was a challenge for me to figure out...being they are not panel mount valves. Once I found the copper pipe hangers it was very simple....they worked out perfectly....and look cool too.

The brackets were something I had on hand and are fixed to the frame with self tapping screws. We have tried to "re-purpose" as much "on hand" stuff as possible...to save some nickels and dimes.

Instead up using soft copper for everything, we used gas hose from the propane. I already had the barbed fittings on hand so it made it easier to plumb and added no extra expense for the fittings.

Valve Mounts 001.jpg

Valve Mounts 002.jpg

Valve Mounts 006.jpg

Valve Mounts 008.jpg

Valve Mounts 009.jpg

Just the rest of the pics of the progress. Still have some plumbing to snug up, then I can wire up the Ignition modules. Then I can flip the stand over and start wiring.

Getting closer!!!

Valve Mounts 012.jpg

Valve Mounts 014.jpg

Valve Mounts 016.jpg

Valve Mounts 011.jpg

All for the love of beer! Well done man! Well done!
Cheers
Jay

Thanks man!

We had our first test burn this past weekend.

By the way.....soap bubbles filled with propane scare the crap out of you when they ignite!!! All leaks were found and fixed........only lost one eye brow.....;)

Time to wire up the stand.

So, after getting the propane all plumbed in...we got all the valves, ignition modules and pumps wired up. I am dressing up the wire and making a harness with a quick connect so all the power for everything will come down from the control panel in one wire harness. I will post up some pics once I have that part done.

We have also switched gears on the temp control part of the system. We decided to go with the BCS module instead of the Love contollers. The flexibility, expandability and data logging lured us that way.....It is here, just waiting on the relay board to arrive...as well as picking up switches, wire, etc. I should be starting on the control panel by next weekend....if the relays show up!!

The control panel will include 3 position toggle switches (Manual/Off/Auto) for the 2 pumps, MLT and HLT burners.....and a master kill switch for everything. All with LED indicators......Right now, the Boil Kettle is lit and operated manually.

Onward!

We got the control panel cut and painted.....and installed the switches and LED's....still have all the internal components and wiring to do. This is a simple, straight forward panel to house the BCS, relays, etc...and to provide manual override and control for the Main Power, Pumps and Burners.

I used 1/4" RCA Jacks for the temp probe inputs.

Almost there!!!

control panel 2.jpg

control panel 3.jpg

contol panel 1.jpg

Ok...went back to the welder for a little while. I wanted to put some "stops" on the grill tops. They serve 2 functions. They keep the kettle centered and from getting knocked off the back of the rig....mainly for when they are empty....and they keep the grill tops in place.

They are made from 1/4" round bar stock from the hardware store.

Man...I am ready to brew on this thing!!:)

Grill Stop 1.jpg

Grill Stop 2.jpg

Grill Stop 3.jpg

Got most of the wiring done in the control panel....still have to wire up the temp sensors, fuses, etc......clean some things up and make the end connector for the wiring harness that will connect to the stand.

I broke an LED so am waiting for the replacement to show up as well...arrgh.

We are close to firing this thing up!!

cp5.jpg

cp3.jpg

cp6.jpg

cp1.jpg

cp7.jpg

Well....I got lazy! Sorry...haven't posted any updates. I have had some major "life" stuff to deal with. I am now happy to get my head back in the game though!!

The maiden voyage on the new system was about the worst brew day either TJ or I have ever experienced. Boil over's and a clogged chiller made for an extremely difficult day for us!!! Some how, we still ended up with beer...it wasn't bad...but it wasn't a typical Soos Creek Brew...but as we kept at it...and got the kinks worked out....we are now exceeding our previous standards....and with 2 new 2bbl fermenters set to arrive in Dec. We look forward to improving once again.....can't wait!!!

We now have about 20 brew sessions on the new system under our belt...and it is dialed in!! Structurally, it is very sound. No flexing at all...very solid. The design and flow of work during a brew session works extremely well and we are very happy with the system as a whole. We still have some additions to make in the form of Quick connects etc. We are also switching from whole hops to pellet hops....so will need to make some adjustments to our boil kettle.

The BCS has become less of a player...we have reduced it's role to a few simple tasks.... and it has become more of a remote monitoring system so we can do other things while water is heating etc. The manual thermometers work wonderfully....and during a brew session, it is much easier to flip toggle switches on the control panel...than click with the mouse.

We originally designed the mash to recirc like the Brutus 10....but found that with the probe on the outlet, and the constant recirc...we had wild temp fluctuations which caused the burner to fire irradically...and also caused the grain bed to become compacted....even with a very slow trickle for the recirc. We now just let the mash sit as is..with an insulation wrap...and let the bcs fire the mash at specific times through out the mash process....simple man....love it!!

The burner set up has worked very well. We are running 10 psi High Pressure propane to 3 hurricane burners. Each one with a grill top between the stand and the kettle to allow completion of combustion. That is working very well, and water is heating rapidly. The use of the spark igniter modules with a separate low pressure manifold has been completely bullet proof so far....works great and safe!! Thank you KLADUE!!

I will try to post some actions shots soon.

Looking good, I am working towards a similar sized system, but probably using a hybrid gas/electric setup for the hlt at least (propane costs add up quickly for me). How well does your stand design support the weight of the kettles? Have you filled them up to test yet? Any bowing in middle? Thanks for the help and documentation!

Rock solid man....no measurable bowing.....very solid!!

This build is very interesting and I am loving the progress. I was thinking about picking up the 210,000 btu hurricane for a 55 gal boilermaker. I would love to hear how it works on your system.

We are very happy with the performance of the high pressure hurricane burners.

As I have learned about heat transfer from Kladue.... the 210k btu is not realistically attainable. not with out 2' high flames and melted thermometers. : ) I believe we are between 60 and 70k btu transfer to the kettles. We are able to heat the strike water for a 1bbl batch in 35-40 mins, and bring the full 35 gallons of wort to a boil in about the same time...maybe 45-50 mins....

We actually do a pre-boil half way through the sparge. We bring 50% of the wort volume to a full rolling boil before we continue sparging....this has had a enormous positive affect on the protein break.

Good to know! I recently acquired a blichmann burner rated at 70k btu i believe, and it is total overkill for my 10gal batches. Should be good to see it in action on a 1 bbl batch. May have to switch to NG as it can kill a 5 gallon LP tank in about 2 or 3 brews if i run it full open

Where did you buy the enclosure for your control panel? This is what I've been looking for.

Got most of the wiring done in the control panel....still have to wire up the temp sensors, fuses, etc......clean some things up and make the end connector for the wiring harness that will connect to the stand.

I broke an LED so am waiting for the replacement to show up as well...arrgh.

We are close to firing this thing up!!

The Rig looks great! Aren't you setting up PIDs on your panel?
One more question where did you find the electric gas valves?
Thanks

Latest posts

Back