Ferment before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dstreetbrew

Reaction score
Have been doing a lot of online research about making root beer from scratch, I made some with extract and I did not like it. In my reading a lot of people are saying to ferment the root beer for a bout 12 hours befor I bottle and other people say just bottle rite away. Any advice?

Ive done a few batches.

Go straight to the bottle. It avoids contamination.

You need to be careful not to use too much yeast. Too much yeast will makes your bottles explode.

Dang, I think I'll have one right now.

Thanks for bringing it up.

I am using an Ale yeast. Because I am letting it sit for 12 hours before bottling I am using a whole packet of Yeast (11.5 grams). All recipes I have seen ask for quarter table spoon for 4 gallons that dose not seem like very much. How much yeast would you suggest.

I have always gone straight to the bottle. If you let the yeast start out of the bottle, you will not have control of their multiplication.

There should be instructions with the extract.

http://www.chymist.com/root beer.pdf

A lot of the threads I read said to use plastic bottles. I use 22 oz glass. I have had a couple of them explode. I also had a batch of beer that I over-primed, a few bottles exploded.

I seem to remember 1/4 teaspoon of yeast from my adventures also. If I have it right, it stops fermenting when it runs out of air from reproduction and leaves most of the sugar undigested.

Not really. The amount of yeast is really immaterial, as the yeast will reproduce anyway.

The more yeast that is used, the "yeastier" the soda will taste, but it won't be more or less carbed if done correctly.

I use about 1/4 package of dry champagne yeast in 2-4L of soda, as it's the most neutral flavored yeast. I put it in bottles right away, and then let them sit until hard (no glass bottles). Once they are hard, I stick them in the fridge and keep them there.

I usually only do 2L at a time now, as my kids are grown up and no one drinks much soda. I've found that I like force carbing with co2 more than using yeast as it's more predictable and doesn't have any sediment, but I still do it with yeast occasionally.

Back