Tropical DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirty_martini

Reaction score
My buddy wants me to make a tropical citrusy DIPA...something stronger than a typical IPA but not the big huge syrupy DIPAs that are out there. Something like Pliny but with more tropical fruit hop notes. I put together this recipe. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts...

70%efficiency
OG - 1.073
FG - 1.013
ABV - 8%
IBUs - "151"

mash @ 150
8lb 2-row
4lb Maris Otter
.5lb melanoidin
.5lb carapils
1lb sugar

1oz Nelson Sauvin FWH
1oz Summit 60min
1oz Summit 30min
.5oz Summit KO
2oz Nelson Sauvin KO
2oz Citra KO

Ferment with s-04 at 68

.5oz Summit DH
2oz Nelson Sauvin DH
2oz Citra DH

Sounds cool. I've never used Nelson Sauvin hops but I presume thats where the tropical fruit aroma comes from? Mango and that sort of thing?
I always suggest swapping out sugar for honey- support your local beekeeper!

I've had good results with each of the hops.

Nelsons had big grapefruit, tropical fruit notes ala the nz sauvignon blancs it takes it's name from.

Citra gave me citrus, but also big mango and passionfruit notes.

Summit gave me more tangerine citrus instead of the typical grapefruit.

I made the one below a couple months ago - and it was all tropical fruit. I was quite happy with the malt bill - nice 6.2srm colour (though was actually a bit darker w 90min boil and all those hops) and relatively light body for an Impy - the simple sugar is a great addition for that.

One thing I would change in mine was the Sorachi for dry hop - i like that hop for kettle additions, but i find it imparts a funny flavour if used for DH. I'd swap Citra in next time.

Yours looks great - I don't know the Nelson hops you're referring to - have to check those out. I also love the s-04 yeast. I've never used it on such a big beer, let us know how it does. (im sure fine). The one thing I'd maybe suggest is dropping the Marris Otter for 2 row if you're going for light body. But - I just did a Simcoe based IPA that i used half MO and have 2-row... so curious how it turns out.

Original Gravity: 1.079 SG
Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
ABV: 8.51 %
91.0 IBU
6.2 SRM

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Munich Malt (3.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (13.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)

1.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.20 %] (90 min) Hops 54.9 IBU
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [6.40 %] (15 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.50 oz Sorachi Ace [10.70 %] (15 min) Hops 20.7 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [6.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
1.00 oz Sorachi Ace [10.70 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [6.40 %] (0 min) Hops -

1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.75 oz Amarillo Gold [6.40 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Sorachi Ace [10.70 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -

Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 6.56 %
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

The NS I'm planning on doing is just going to be straight NS with a little bit of Columbus at the end for dry hopping, since I can't get leaf NS here.

It has roughly the same alphas as Simcoe, so I'm going to treat it as such.

You might want to check out Calpyso or Falconer's Flight. While I haven't personally used them the flavor descriptions are right up the alley for a fruity tropical IPA.

I am currently drinking a double IPA myself that I made very very citra heavy. I did Columbus or Magnum for bittering then the rest of the beer is all citra. As you already know it's very mango and citrusy.

I am planning on doing an IPA with the Calypso soon I just don't know how soon.

smokinghole said:
You might want to check out Calpyso or Falconer's Flight. While I haven't personally used them the flavor descriptions are right up the alley for a fruity tropical IPA.

I am currently drinking a double IPA myself that I made very very citra heavy. I did Columbus or Magnum for bittering then the rest of the beer is all citra. As you already know it's very mango and citrusy.

I am planning on doing an IPA with the Calypso soon I just don't know how soon.

I already have a pound of nelsons, citra, summit, and Amarillo to use so im not in the market for more hops at the moment. I didn't want to use Amarillo this time because it's already used in so many IPAs I make. Plus, I like my recipes simple. Max 3 different hops so it doesn't get too muddled and I can pick out what each hop brings to the table.

Back