TIG Welder? tigmaster or Greenmonte?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a very good tig welder for doing small projects like brew kettle fittings, light gauge sheetnetal fabrication etc, that particular tig elder as made for commerical kitchen fabrication with its small size and portability, the only downside is, the cost, for how small of a machine it is the cost is pretty high, if i were in the market for a tig welder i would buy used, millers prices on welders have went up 50% in the last 5 years on new rigs, i would suggest looking on craiglsist locally, i always see tig rigs going for 1/2 the cost or less and usually come with alot of high dollar accessories that you will need. I purchase an almost new synchrowave 250dx ac/dc tig welder with stainless cart and a coolmate 3 cooler, 2-k size bottles and water cooled tig torch for $1800, cost from miller would be over $6000 with the bottles, alot of people are broke right now unloading stuff right and left to pay the bills. Also that tig you pictured is not an ac unit and cannot tig aluminum. If i were going to spend $1500 on a new unit get the miller diversion 180 for sure. Or the cheaper diversion 165, both are ac/dc rigs

I just bought the STH model and really like it. $1500 new on ebay, and that's including regulator, torch, case, etc.

You have to decide whether you'll really ever weld aluminum.....if you're into bikes and cars, you just might. Otherwise, almost all projects are steel of some kind.

You can definitely find something used but nice for the same price, but you may not get the portability or flexibility in power sources....and keep in mind that the bigger the TIG, the more likely you are to need a water cooler.

Its funny because its debatable if i will ever need to tig aluminum. My freinds machine shop is good for this. He has a syncwave 250 there, but its out of town and I dont think i could really do everything i want to do everyday at his shop. To be good at tig it takes alot of time.

The Diversion series is capable of Aluminum.
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/product.php?model=M00325

Ebay is cheaper. Add $140 for a foot control, you'll need it
http://cgi.ebay.com/MILLER-DIVERSIO...40505885909?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item20b6cdacd5

Or you could wait till you find a welder you want cheaper on Craigslist or Ebay if your patient.

I work with a guy that's sitting on 2 Dynasty 200 DX's in his shop that he doesn't use.
I will ask him if he's interested in selling one, and for how much.

do these welders have the same capabilities as the one i showed?

The Diversion 165 has the capability to weld Aluminum.
That is the major advantage, and it is more user friendly for a hobbyist welder.

The disadvantages are...

It's a dedicated tig machine, no smaw.

It requires 230v for power.

The torch looks to be integral to the machine. If that's the case I don't like that. Eventually your torch or torch power cable may kick the bucket.
I like to be able to run down to the welding supply and pick up replacement parts on the spot. I'm not sure if that's the case with the Diversion.

The last thing is, even though the Diversion can weld Aluminum it doesn't provide the operator with Squarewave which allows you to tailor the arc characteristics when welding Aluminum.
This may not be a big deal for a hobbyist, but for me it's almost a necessity.

I'm gonna make this short and sweet on the Dynasty 200 DX.
It rocks!
It's got more options than you would know what to do with. At least for a good while.

So, if you want the ability to weld Aluminum the Diversion is your choice.

If you don't care about Aluminum the Maxtar is the better choice.

If you want the benefits of both the Diversion and the Maxtar plus more!, than the Dynasty 200 DX is where it's at.

Again I will check with my co-worker on whether he wants to sell one of his Dynasty's

Another manufacturer no one mentions on this forum is Lincoln.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Pages/default.aspx
They are Miller's biggest competitor. Lincoln makes very good welders also.
So don't limit yourself to just one brand.

Thank you so much for your input. Id love to hear about your friends Dynasty. The one problem i have is running 220 and availability since I move around a bit.

I would buy a lincoln im just not sure which one.

Thank you so much for your input. Id love to hear about your friends Dynasty. The one problem i have is running 220 and availability since I move around a bit.

I would buy a lincoln im just not sure which one.

No problem.

My co-worker wants $2400 for the Dynasty 200 DX. That's bare bones.
He also mentioned that he had a Maxstar 200 he'll let go of for $1000

Let me know if you really want AC welding capability, and I can recommend a Lincoln machine.

I don't want to hog this thread. If any one else wants to chime in, please do.

I cant afford 2400 for the Dynasty.

Why so cheap for the Maxstar? How many hours has it been used and whats included?

Kick I don't want to steal your thread, but also wanted to ask if TIG is the best way to go for a beginning weldor? Looking to do stainless and some mild steel related to motorcycles and maybe my truck.

Been looking at welders myself... Everyone I know raves about Miller welders. I know Lincoln is also a reputable welder, but what about ESAB?

ESAB is the only one I can find that makes a welder that Mig/Tig/Stick welds! It'd be nice to have all 3 in machine!

Suggestions or insight on any of this?

Been looking at welders myself... Everyone I know raves about Miller welders. I know Lincoln is also a reputable welder, but what about ESAB?

ESAB is the only one I can find that makes a welder that Mig/Tig/Stick welds! It'd be nice to have all 3 in machine!

Suggestions or insight on any of this?

The all in one machine maybe able to do all, but poorly at that, it probably migs ok, but with very little adjustability its comparable to the harbor freight scratch start tig....

Esab is another less known company that makes decent welding machines.
They are known more for their filler metals, than their welding machines.

Miller does make the XMT series that does mig/tig/stick in DC only.
The XMT works extremely well in all three processes. I've got hundreds of hours under the hood using the XMT.
You can find them sometimes for a steal.
They require 230v power.

The plus side is they auto configure to any supply voltage, whether it's single phase 230v or 3 phase 480v

I was interested in an All-In-One (Tig/Stick/Plasma Cutter). I was looking at the Everlast machines. After reading all I could find, the switch over time between Plasma & Tig for instance kinda turned me off. I ended up finding a decent deal on a Miller Syncrowave 250 with a water cooler... I couldn't be happier.

Ed

Kick I don't want to steal your thread, but also wanted to ask if TIG is the best way to go for a beginning weldor? Looking to do stainless and some mild steel related to motorcycles and maybe my truck.

For small diameter tubing and making short welds, tig would be the process to use, even for a beginner.

Mig was invented for production, laying down weld very fast. When welding small diameter tube and pipe it just lays down too fast to manage and make nice looking welds.

And at low currents you're welding with a short circuiting arc that tends to be a little on the cold side making your welds look excessively convex, and tends to create a lot of spatter.

Globular transfer makes a better penetrating, smoother weld but is usually too hot for small diameter, thin walled tubing.

Spray transfer makes the nicest welds, with virtually no spatter, and excellent penetration, but requires even more current than globular transfer.
Spray transfer is suited for heavy weldments that require high amounts of weld deposited at a fast rate.

Don't get the wrong idea about what I'm saying. Mig does a great job at doing square tubing, but but tig is better suited on small rounds.
The reason is when welding round tubing your hand position is constantly changing as you progress around the tubing at the same time mig wire is constantly feeding out of the gun. You cannot change the rate at which the wire feeds while your welding. This also results in different weld profiles as your position changes while making the weld.
When tig welding you have total control over the rate at which you deposit metal, and your weld profile tends to remain the same as you progress.

The biggest obstacle for beginners is the coordination of working a foot control, torch, and filler metal all at the same time and making it all work together.

The all in one machine maybe able to do all, but poorly at that, it probably migs ok, but with very little adjustability its comparable to the harbor freight scratch start tig....

Ok Thanks, Not that I'm stuck on ESAB, but just to make sure... the all in one is a poor idea because it's trying to do too much in one package and quality is deminished or is ESAB not a trust worthy product?

Honestly I've been eyeing a few miller welders on ebay, but the convienence of the all in one by ESAB caught my eye.

I can't say for sure that the Esab multiprocess machine is good or bad. Don't have much experience with one.
Their dedicated mig and stick machines are good welders, I have used them.

Their are so many choices out there, and the wallet dictates what most of us settle with.

If you want a good tig machine Syncrowave is what I'd choose. It's more affordable than the Dynasty DX
It welds Aluminum and has adjustable AC balance. It is an excellent welder.

If you don't need AC Maxstar is a good choice.

If you want to spend a little more on a DC machine the XMT is an excellent choice.

I know that welding machines are expensive, but when you buy those harbor freight and the like machines it's like handicapping yourself when it comes to learning to weld.

If your set on learning to weld and DIY'ing just bite the bullet and buy a good welder.

Agree...don't buy the Harbor Freight welder, you will end up frustrated.
My two cents;
If you are looking to purchase one stationary welder, buy a tig. A good tig is capable of welding ALL types of metal. It is very controlled, but does take some time to learn (like any welding).
If you have the bucks, buy new..but spend a few weeks or a month researching (talk to people you know that tig weld and Google) watch Craigslist and find yourself a hell of a deal.
I wanted a tig welder like my dad has but did not want to spend $3500.. I ended up finding an old Linde 300 amp tig/arc welder with a cooler for $550. It is a workhorse and will weld anything you will ever need. However it weighs 1000# and is the size of a large washing machine.

Bottom line- everyone has different needs and opinions. Spend some time researching and purchase what works for you.....
A lot of guys spend $350 on the Home Depot Lincoln mig welder and love it. They will weld up to 1/4 thick material, run on 120v, and are very portable.

I bought my welder in December and had never held a TIG torch before. I'm obviously very green and still have a long way to go but I'm really enjoying learning the process.

You can certainly TIG weld all the stuff you mentioned.

For a beginner in addition to learning the process (correct filler, welder settings, etc), the required dexterity is another learning curve. I have a foot pedal with my welder, so you basically have to be able to use both hands and your foot simultaneously. Sounds pretty simple, but if you concentrate too much on the torch angle it's easy to forget about the pedal. Or if you focus too much on feeding the filler, you end up sticking the tungsten in the puddle.
Also, welding on a table where everything is in the perfect position is WAY different than welding in an awkward position. I have already realized you sometimes have to come up with creative ways to manage the pedal... I've used my knee and my elbow (not at the same time).

Good luck and have fun.
Ed

Thanks for the advice all. I'll look in to a welding class as mentioned above, but my neighbor has also offered to teach me. Probably will go with a used TIG machine then.

I cant afford 2400 for the Dynasty.

Why so cheap for the Maxstar? How many hours has it been used and whats included?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

My co-worker said he paid $950 for it, and if he could make a few bucks on it he'd be happy.

He said it is in as good a shape as the one I have at work, which means, very good condition. He couldn't say how many hours it had on it.

That price is just for the machine, no torch, foot control, etc.

I think i might end up buying a new welder. I am the kind of guy who will use it alot. I get bored alot after work and working out so it gives me something to do.

Back