Hopback before kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bent

Reaction score
Hey folks
Just wondering if anyone has tried using a hopback while kegging instead of dryhopping. I recently brewed a black rye IPA (1bbl)and dryhopped with 12ozs. I got impatient and decided to keg after only 4 days of the dryhopping. Well I took a corny and stuffed all 12ozs in there then ran 1/2 the beer through it as I kegged. The other half kegged as usual. HUGE difference. The aroma is much better and more floral. I will definitely be trying this again. Maybe some of you hopheads will chime in.

cheers

Really?

I didnt realize I wasnt cool enough for your forum. Well I have learned alot by learking and I guess I will just keep doing so and keep my mouth shut!

How long has it been in the keg (post hopback)? Any signs of the aroma fading yet? I've dry hopped in secondary and keg, I'm always looking for ways to make that last longer.

I thought you had to run the HOT wort though the hopback before chilling and fermenting? If you run the fermented beer though a "hopback" before carbing, isn't that called a hop infuser?

Maybe check out a Randall? Sounds like the same concept. This way the aroma/flavor doesn't fade on you.

I thought you had to run the HOT wort though the hopback before chilling and fermenting?

I've heard the same. If the wort has been cool for 4 days, Idk if you're getting the same extraction as you would running hot wort through it.

I just add hops at flame out and then dry hop. It works.

I thought you had to run the HOT wort though the hopback before chilling and fermenting? If you run the fermented beer though a "hopback" before carbing, isn't that called a hop infuser?

Sierra Nevada calls it a Torpedo.

Something I've been thinking about trying on some beers instead of or in addition to dry hopping

Back