Can you keg 3 gallons in a 5 gallon keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andysam

Reaction score
For many reasons, I have about 3-4 gallons in my secondary fermenter right now. Is it possible to keg this? (this would be my first kegging) I dont know if having the extra 1-2 gallons of AIR in the keg would matter. Can i just push the air out with co2 and be good?
Thanks!

For many reasons, I have about 3-4 gallons in my secondary fermenter right now. Is it possible to keg this? (this would be my first kegging) I dont know if having the extra 1-2 gallons of AIR in the keg would matter. Can i just push the air out with co2 and be good?
Thanks!

You should be able to. Set the PSI to about 5, let fill, than pull the manual release on the keg. Repeat 3 or 4 times to fully purge the head space.

I have done this on my last couple of batches because I wanted to bottle a couple of gallons to have for later and only put 3-4 in the keg, just purged and they are fine so far.

Of course you can. It's not like the keg is full after the first pint.

It will use more CO2 at first since it has more head space to fill, but not really an issue.

Nope. Once a full keg gets down to the 3 gallon mark the beer automatically goes bad. Don't even get me started on that last pint.

You'll be fine...

Back