Why, if I'm an AMERICAN living in AMERICA do I have to...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
put "Basura" on a pile of trash so it can be taken out by the cleaning staff at night?

You would think that in the process of living in a foreign country that you would learn simple words and phrases pertaining to basic living and work.

I put "Trash" on a pile, huge pile of boxes and plastic bags etc.. for disposal. It was nice and neat and ready to go with little to no mess, Piled it up outside our techroom 4 days ago. I'd have done it myself but they don't trust us enough to give us access to the nice crasher downstairs wherever it's at.

Yesterday my boss tells me to write "Basura" on it and it will be gone.

Sure as SHT it was gone when I got to work this morning.

It's one word..... is that too much to ask someone working and living in the United States to learn? Especially when it pertains to the very job they are hired to do?

:rolleyes:

I had a pizza box once that the cleaners hadnt taken out for 2 days. I wrote "el trasho" on it and they took it. :D

Try writing both the english and spanish version on it so they learn? Part of the solution and all...

I had a pizza box once that the cleaners hadnt taken out for 2 days. I wrote "el trasho" on it and they took it. :D

Haha, Spanglish rules

Try writing both the english and spanish version on it so they learn? Part of the solution and all...

Haha, Spanglish rules

At my last job I alternated...

on one day I wrote "Trash".. it stayed.

on the second day I wrote "basura" it went.

Man, that's almost as bad as having to take out your own trash. No wonder you're pissed.

Maybe it's because the only job a new immigrant can get is cleaning trash up for other folks. It's just possible that as soon as they get a grip on the language, they will move up on the employment ladder to a better job with better pay.

Cleaning crews need to be absolutely SURE that something is trash before they will take it or it will cost them their much needed job.

Get over it.

Maybe it's because the only job a new immigrant can get is cleaning trash up for other folks. It's just possible that as soon as they get a grip on the language, they will move up on the employment ladder to a better job with better pay.

Cleaning crews need to be absolutely SURE that something is trash before they will take it or it will cost them their much needed job.

Get over it.

And also, what he said. You're complaining that YOU had to learn a word. You get paid more. Learn a word.

And also, what he said. You're complaining that YOU had to learn a word. You get paid more. Learn a word.

While this is valid, at the same time THEY are in a new country where the predominate language is English.

In this case BOTH should learn a word so that effective communication is established and BOTH are bettered by the situation.

While this is valid, at the same time THEY are in a new country where the predominate language is English.

In this case BOTH should learn a word so that effective communication is established and BOTH are bettered by the situation.

In most of the US that is true, but in any large city, you'll find areas where the predominant language is not English. These are popular areas for new immigrants, because it takes some of the stress out of the move to a new country and culture.

In most of the US that is true, but in any large city, you'll find areas where the predominant language is not English. These are popular areas for new immigrants, because it takes some of the stress out of the move to a new country and culture.

And it has been that way since before this country was even established, so lets try to keep any "immigrants are ruining America" comments to a minimum, please.

And it has been that way since before this country was even established, so lets try to keep any "immigrants are ruining America" comments to a minimum, please.

Not sure if I didn't give my post the tone I meant to, but I was definitely not trying to say that it's a bad thing. If I moved to a country where I didn't know the language, I would like to start by living in an area that makes the transition easier by lowering my need to learn the language and culture all at once.

Not sure if I didn't give my post the tone I meant to, but I was definitely not trying to say that it's a bad thing. If I moved to a country where I didn't know the language, I would like to start by living in an area that makes the transition easier by lowering my need to learn the language and culture all at once.

No, sorry, wasn't aimed at you. Just trying to head off any future problems.

I understand this, and I understand that making a transition to a new country/culture can be stressful. While their neighborhood may be predominately of their native language, the country is predominately English (for the moment).

I am not saying that "immigrants are ruining the nation", I believe the US has been and should be the "great mixing pot" for those that wish to become part of our nation legally, but for us to function together we should have a common shared language to help cross cultural/language barriers that arise. For this reason, helping by writing in both languages so BOTH parties learn from each other seems like the best option to help take out some of the stress of moving to a new country.

However, if someone has been in this country legally or otherwise for any extended period of time and has refused to make any attempt at learning the language, I hold no sympathy and retract any special considerations. If I were to spend any time in their country I would do my best to learn their culture and language to the best of my ability, as a sign of respect for them and their nation. If they do not extend the same courtesy to me/us while in my/our home, why should we bend over backward for their stubborn disrespect?

It swings both ways... "While in Rome..."

Get over it.

Exactly this. Also, whomever is sourcing the cleaning is going with the lowest bidder, and anyone who can speak *any* English is above that hiring bracket. Welcome to capitalism, enjoy your stay.

The janitorial company hired where I work employs local English speaking, American teenagers. They touch exactly one item in each cubicle - the trash can. If it's not in or on the can, it doesn't go.

I understand this, and I understand that making a transition to a new country/culture can be stressful. While their neighborhood may be predominately of their native language, the country is predominately English (for the moment).

I am not saying that "immigrants are ruining the nation", I believe the US has been and should be the "great mixing pot" for those that wish to become part of our nation legally, but for us to function together we should have a common shared language to help cross cultural/language barriers that arise. For this reason, helping by writing in both languages so BOTH parties learn from each other seems like the best option to help take out some of the stress of moving to a new country.

However, if someone has been in this country legally or otherwise for any extended period of time and has refused to make any attempt at learning the language, I hold no sympathy and retract any special considerations. If I were to spend any time in their country I would do my best to learn their culture and language to the best of my ability, as a sign of respect for them and their nation. If they do not extend the same courtesy to me/us while in my/our home, why should we bend over backward for their stubborn disrespect?

Well put, I agree :mug:

But how do you know when somebody hasn't taken strides to learn the language? How about somebody who has, say an immigrant of advancing years, and can't grasp it? English is one of the most difficult languages to learn.

I'd try my best to learn another language if I lived where it was necessary (I learned Southern when I lived in NC :p) but sometimes it's just hard for people.

This whole trash rant seems a bit overwrought to me.

That's all well and good. You got your trash picked up.

Our custodians are white, male, union, English speakers and they don't take the trash out even if I mark the boxes as "Trash."

Section 4-1-404 –English and Legal Language (1984)

English is hereby established as the official and legal language of Tennessee. All communications and publications, including ballots, produced by governmental entities in Tennessee shall be in English, and instruction in public schools and colleges of Tennessee shall be conducted in English unless the nature of the course would require otherwise.

No basura signs for us.:ban:

Section 4-1-404 –English and Legal Language (1984)

English is hereby established as the official and legal language of Tennessee. All communications and publications, including ballots, produced by governmental entities in Tennessee shall be in English, and instruction in public schools and colleges of Tennessee shall be conducted in English unless the nature of the course would require otherwise.

No basura signs for us.:ban:

That only covers anything written/spoken by the government. If you work at a private company, they can work only in Swedish if they like.

I like the last line of that bill. I can imagine the SWAT team busting in on some middle school Latin class and arresting everybody.

That only covers anything written/spoken by the government. If you work at a private company, they can work only in Swedish if they like.

I like the last line of that bill. I can imagine the SWAT team busting in on some middle school Latin class and arresting everybody.

Alls i knows is i lives in da souf and im not learing mexicans for no ones!:D

Yert!

This is so easy. They came here to work and have a better life. I would not expect them to start learning English well enough to hold conversations, but for Christ's sake, you would think that if they were supposed to be taking out the TRASH, they would at least learn the few words relative to their jobs! Anyone who is not retarded can remember a couple of foreign words as a great start to learning a new language.

That would have been a great opp. for someone to say, "You know what? We should teach these people a few words of English."

Until people start worrying more about whats right and wrong and not about whats PC this will continue to happen. I don't want to sound racist cause really I'm not but this country is slowly being invaded and as a whole we're more worried about offending people then we are about stopping it. One person pointed out that if they had thrown it out it could have cost them their job if it wasn't meant to be thrown out well how about costing them their job because it was meant to be thrown out and they didn't. I learned how to interrogate in Spanish in 10 months there's no reason that someone that's been here for years can't learn simple house keeping words in English. I'm done my rant now and promise to keep these to a minimum in the future.

Wrong. In most cities, almost EVERY restaurant kitchen is staffed by immigrants, a lot of the non-skill construction jobs and landscaping crews are staffed by immigrants...quite a few of which CHOOSE not to learn English.

As a construction electrician, I always have to write all warning signs in english AND spanish. These are not low paying jobs. You'd think that they would take at least a little effort to learn some of the predominant home language, for that kind of money !

Get over it.

Get over it ??? What's to "get over" ? When my grandparents, like most immigrants of that, and previous, generations came here, they learned the language if they wanted to work outside their neighborhood. If we were to move to ANY other country, we would be learning THAT language.

Get over it.

For a trash collector, learning the word for trash is first day stuff.

I got my first job in France at a time when my French was extremely limited. At the end of my first day my head was full of new work-related words. This happened because I asked questions, often by sign language, gestures, and simply pointing at things with a quizzical expression.

Because English is becoming the government approved language of the minorities. ;)

Now the real question is why, when 90% of traffic signs are printed in English, are people given the option to take their written tests for a drivers license in spanish?

For a trash collector, learning the word for trash is first day stuff.

Exarcly. If I went to France and got a job as a barista, you think it'd make sense for me to learn "cafe au lait", etc. I can understand if you don't yet know the whole goddamned english language, but if you haven't even taken the time to learn the singular words/phrases for the job you work, then you should be fired.

Because English is becoming the government approved language of the minorities. ;)

Now the real question is why, when 90% of traffic signs are printed in English, are people given the option to take their written tests for a drivers license in spanish?

Because the signs are usually visually aided as well. A stop sign isn't a white box with black lettering, it's a big red octagon. It's a lot easier to translate these isolated words than to grasp the actual english language in such a fashion that you can read and answer whole sentences in English. Not saying that they shouldn't have to learn at least enough English to be able to take the drivers test, just that there's a difference between learning how to translate street signs and learning the english language.

Aside from the language issue, I do know cleaning staff particularly room maids in hotels are hesitant to throw stuff out if you have not checked out yet unless they are positive it is trash. Funny some of the stuff they won't take unless you actually put it in a trash can or write trash on it.

What is the translation for "Take out the trash" in Iraqanese? :D
I had to look that one up since my conversational skills are limited to phrases such as "hello", "how are you" and "lie on your stomach or we will shoot you".

Roughly: إخراج القمامة ikhraaj al-qamaameh

+1. If you are legal, make an effort to learn the language. If you are not here legally, gtfo.

I find the unwillingness of our government to force immigrants to learn English to be severely ironic. I've never successfully carried on a conversation in any other language, sure I learned enough French to pass a couple classes in high school and enough Spanish to get drunk in my weekly endeavors across the border during college, but no conversations. I had to take an English course in each and every year of my 12 years spent in public schools as state mandates require, and then I had to take 3 semesters of it during under-grad. All of this when it is the only language I have ever learned and that is what was EXPECTED of me growing up here, but we can't even politely suggest that an immigrant learn the bits and pieces of English that directly relate to their job.

WTF is wrong with that picture?

Now, there it is in plain simple English. :)

Edit: I suppose it's too late now to teach Americans how to spell correctly? ;)

Christ, you're not kidding...funny how we lambaste immigrants for not learning english good, but peruse this forum alone and you'll find plenty of good ol' fashioned 'merkins who lack the basic spelling and grammar skills to get through middle school.

If Jose the Immigrant should have to learn to speak English, then so should Clayton Ross. :drunk:

Christ, you're not kidding...funny how we lambaste immigrants for not learning english good, but peruse this forum alone and you'll find plenty of good ol' fashioned 'merkins who lack the basic spelling and grammar skills to get through middle school.

If Jose the Immigrant should have to learn to speak English, then so should Clayton Ross. :drunk:

I'm glad we all agree on "Trash" and not say:
Garbage
Refuse
Disposal
Toss this
Pitch
Junk
Throw away
Do you want this? Otherwise get rid of it.
Free
Budweiser

Back