Strawberry Blond tastes like plastic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schweitzer22

Reaction score
I know there are a few of these out there but wanted to tell you step by step what I did and see where I went wrong. I brewed a three step strawberry blond.
1.) Made a wheat beer in a carboy
2.) Added strawberries in the plastic fermenter
3.) Tasted beer as I was siphoning into the tertiary (car boy). Tasted great at this point
4.) Added beer to bottling bucket, tasted it and it was wonderful and I was very happy and excited to taste this after finishing in bottle.
5.) Let it age a month, opened it, smelled like strawberries, took a drink and got punched in the mouth by a very strong plastic taste. Was hoping it was maybe just that bottle so a week later opened another one and same thing. In fact the strawberry smell is much weaker and the plastic smell is taking over.

I'm guessing I have an infection but not sure where it came from. This was my 14th beer brewed and never had a problem before. I'm anal when it comes to sanitation. I used dole frozen strawberries, was it here that it went wrong? I don't want to dump it but once you have this plastic taste will it ever go away. Thanks folks as always.

Plastic taste makes me think either yeast issue or chorine/chloramines.
What yeast did you use and how was your temp control?
Are you using any bleach?
Are you using tap water?

After brewing for a year at our new house we had a few batches suddenly taste plasticy. We came to the conclusion that the city started using chloramine because we've now done 3 batches pretreating the water with campden and no more plastic taste.

using bottled water, using powdered bleach cleanser but rinsed very well, and temp was at a cosistant 68degrees.

using bottled water, using powdered bleach cleanser but rinsed very well, and temp was at a cosistant 68degrees.

powdered bleach usually has more sodium hypochlorite per volume than standard 5.6% liquid and is harder to rinse off.

Back