Added too much sparge water. boil off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I added several gallons too much sparge water. I read beersmith wrong and added 7 gallons of new water for the sparge instead of adding just enough to the existing water. So my question is: can I boil off the excess water and have the beer turn out ok? So say instead of a 60 min boil iy takes me 90 because I need to boil off excess from the wort. I'm talking prior to hop additions and everything. Just the wort in the boil pot. I'm boiling now so I'd appreciate a quick response if possible. Gracias

Amazingly fast response. Thanks. So I can boil off say a gallon and a half and it won't hurt? The preboil gravity was very low but that's because I had way too much water. So I can boil that excess off and it will get the gravity close to what I need? I didn't know if boiling too long can hurt the wort.

your efficiency might be a little higher than expected due to the extra sparge water. Some say extended boils will yield "carmel" flavors, which you may or may not want in the beer style you picked. Try it and see.

Yes, if you need to boil for an extra 30 min or what ever, just postpone your hop schedule to the correct time. So that they are in the boil for the right amount of time.

Appreciated the feed back. Because of my incorrect reading of beer smith I ended up with almost 4 extra gallons of water. So I kept boiling and then would pour more water in. Ended up tossing out a little less than 2 gallons and boiled off the rest. I'm sure my gravity will suffer a bit but hopefully not too much. I'm brewing a milk stout so some caramel notes may be interesting. I will update how far off my gravity was. I have 5 mins of boil left then it crash cool time. Thanks again.

I added the hops and lactose at what would be their normal times. It was just the virgin wort that boiled longer than normal. I don't say this enough, but I love this community. Thanks again everyone.

Well I'm going to have to look up BMC now. Hot my target gravity somehow. Guess boiling off some of that work helped. Thanks for ll the advice guys. This site got me interested in brewing years ago and keeps helping me along.

The Milk Stout will be fermenting for 3 weeks. I will let you know the final results.

First I have to apologize for all the terrible spelling. I was doing all of the posting from my phone while I brewed and those damn buttons are too small. Anyways, so as I stated before I ended up hitting my gravity right on the nose. And bubbling started within a few hours. I’m still shocked being as I had such a big screw up right off the bat. But we will see what the final gravity comes out at and how it tastes after about 3 months in bottles. Thanks again for the help.

BMC = Bud/Miller/Coors. Glad to see everything worked out! Beer is actually very hard to mess up once you have the basics down! Even if it does happen, you usually end up with a different procudt...not necessarily better or worse!

Wow - musta been something in the air on 7/15! I made this exact same error the following morning and used the same fix. (My mildly sleep-deprived brain couldn't handle the very complicated math involved here and I added an extra gallon to the sparge.)

Ahhhh.. they joys of batch sparging :) This is why I fly sparge. I know my boil off rate and I have the level marked off for 60 and 90 min boils. I just sparge until I hit the marker and stop. Check gravity and if its too low (which it almost never is because I purposely put a slightly lower efficency % into beersmith) I can dd dme. If its too high I keep sparging until I get the gravity I want and remove the excess volume before boil...

Latest posts

Back