Blonde Lime

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
No idea
Final Gravity
No idea
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
Light Blonde
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
No
Tasting Notes
Light and crisp. The lime works perfect with it.
Ingredients:

1 Can (3.3lbs) Of Muntonts Extra Light Liquid Extract
2 lbs of dry rice extract/rice syrup solids
NO HOPS!!!
8oz of Crytsal Malt 10L to steep for 20-30m minutes between 160-170 farenheit
1 tablespoon of irish moss for last ten minutes of boil
2-4 limes

Boil for 40 minutes with 1 gallon of water. Pitch yeast between 68-78 degrees farenheit only!

About 3 weeks before you bottle this beer you need to take some vodka and ur 2-4 limes to make the lime extract. Cut one lime into four piece and seperate the lime peel from the zest. Do this with all the limes. Take two seperate jars (mason jars work fine) and add the zest to one and the lime peel to the other. Fill up each jar with the vodka until it reaches 4 ounces. Cover the jars with the mason jar lids or seran wrap and let it sit for 2 weeks. After the first week take a fork and open up the lime zest jar and crush the limes up and then cover again. On the second week mix both jars together into a seperate jar it should add up to 8 ounces. Add just a couple pieces of zest and lime peel to this jar. Let it sit for a week or until you bottle and add to the bottling bucket before bottling.

Ferment at room temp in primary for 7 days and secondary for 14 days. Carbonate with 3/4 cup corn sugar or 5oz of priming sugar and don't forget to add the lime extract :)

Can you liken this beer to anything else? Anyone else give it a try?

Definitely sounds interesting.

Have you noticed a shortened shelf life from the lack of hops or any other negative effects?

Also I'm a bit confused on the lime extract process.

Can you explain to me what you mean by zest and peel? I've always considered them the same.

"After the first week take a fork and open up the lime zest jar and crush the limes up and then cover again."

You are adding the actual lime fruit to the jar with the zest?

Are you letting these jars sit at room temperature or do you keep them in the fridge?

Did you strain this mix before adding to the bottling bucket or do you add it all?

Thanks!

I store the beer in the frdge after 3 weeks of room temp conditioning and havent noticed reduced shelf life.

The peel is the hard outer shell and the zest is the middle squishy part. I keep them sitting in the fridge and yes i strain the mix

I tried a similar beer except I used Minute Maid Limeade in the bottling bucket. I was thinking of using real limes next time. I am also confused about the peel vs. zest thing. The zest is just the outside of the peel, only the green part and none of the white. Usually you scrape it with a zester to remove only the green part of the peel and it comes off in shavings. Can you post any pics of your process, that might help.

I think he means "flesh", not "zest"?

Im sorry guys...i was just making a belgian wit recipe for me to brew soon and looked up the definition of zest and i now undersand it is the peel and i see you guys caught my mistake also. When I saw "zest" i mean flesh and when i say peel i mean the peel :ban:

Makes more sense now, thanks man. When I was making a BW, I was told to only use the zest of an orange and make sure not to get any of the white part of the peel. I like your procedure and might have to try that for a lime brew next time.

So are you not adding Hops because you want to taste the lime flavor or because you want to limit bitterness of the beer. Or am I missing something completly ( I am as new to this as can be - I am gonna make my first Brew in the Next Week )

Jed - Welcome to HBT, so much for your free time, it will now be occupied with hours of reading HBT. You hit the nail right of the head. In a beer like this you are more interested in having the fruit flavor dominate and not the hops. At least I do that is. There are plenty of other beer styles in which you can add a ton of hops for bitterness, flavor, and aroma. Use the search function on the site or post a new thread if you have any questions before you start cooking (or even while you are cooking you can get some answers if necessary). Good luck!

I just finished a lime extract for a Weiss beer, which is conditioning right now. I made the lime extract from about 18 limes. The green part of the peel contains the oils which I wanted and I also wanted the juice, but not the citric acid.

In the peel jar, I added Everclear, which worked in just a few days. Once the liquid is a dark green, heat the jar up to about 170 to evaporate the alcohol. I did this about 4 or 5 times just to make sure.

In the juice jar, I added some sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to reduce the citric acid. I had to play around to figure out a good amount. I think I used about a 1/2 to 3/4 tsp for about 16 oz. After a week to a week and a half in the fridge, the liquid separates from the pulp and the sodium bicarbonate, which sink to the bottom.

After primary was complete, poured both jars into empty secondary and racked beer onto the extract. Overall, I used about 20 oz or so of both juice & peel extract. Turned out great!

3lbs of 2 row
1lbs of flaked rice
.5lbs of 20L
I have MT Hood or Cascade Hops, I think I am going to do the Cascade. I will aroma with cascade also
Adding 2 limes juice 5 min in to the boil, the rest of the limes with 10 minutes left
and add Irish Moss

Thats what I did for 2.5 gallons. I also added 4 oz of lime extract from a place I bought off ot amazon.com

Back