Perf SS false bottom, rectangular cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally speaking that'll work, but how are you going to form it? You need to make it cupped or dome shaped in order for the sweet wort to flow through it and out your connection. In other words it can't just sit flat on the bottom of the cooler.

Do you plan to have it sit on the curved lip at the bottom of your cooler? What about sealing the edges (maybe not really necessary)? It may work, especially in cooler with a drain recess...

22 gauge should support a reasonable grain bill but you may want to place 2 or 3 support studs (offsets like a computer motherboard) in the center spaced evenly apart.

I thought I'd raise it off the bottom of the cooler with standoffs (like your "support studs", but taller). I would raise the perf sheet above where I have the bulkhead and SS braid now. Might just leave the braid in for additional filtering.

I would get it slightly larger than needed, bend it right down the center into a "roof" shape (barely clearing the SS braid), and trim it to fit in the tun perfectly. This would provide less dead space, and keep more wort in contact with the grains than elevating the entire FB.

Back