Ferm fridge outside is too cold now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petree3

Reaction score
Even though I live on the beautiful California coast it is now getting odwn into the thirties at night and in the morning. My fermentation fridge is outside (SWMBO's orders) and now it wont even get up into the low 60's where I need it to be for ales. Would putting a 60 watt light bulb in there be sufficient to get the fridge up to temp or maybe is that too overpowered? I don't want the fridge to be running all the time (running up the electric bills!) Does anyone have experience with this?

You should use your temp control system to control your heat source instead of the fridge. That way, the fridge never runs and if your heat source is a bit overpowered, it just runs less. No experience using a light bulb as a heat source though.

Living in South Texas, I have the same situation. Last year, and soon this year I put a heating pad in the freezer set on low for a day or so just to keep the temps up to the right level. I'm sure there are better ways but that is what I had on hand.

Back