American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to make this again! My keg just kicked last night and it's hot today. It's be the perfect day for this beer.

I've never dryhopped more than about 10 days, but I can't see 2 weeks causing any issues.

Kegged this brew a few days ago and tasted it for first time last night. Yum! Its a most excellent recipe, thanks for sharing. :rockin:

Specs: OG 1.0744, FG 1.0152, ABV 7.8%, 78.5 AA

I basically doubled your AG instructions for a 10 gallon batch, the only variation was using a Belgium Strong ale yeast. The yeast worked out just fine, I didn't really notice it adding any character to the beer, which is what I expected with a beer this hoppy.

i don't know if there is talk of it in this thread so i'm asking.
i'm going to shoot for something more along the lines of the 75 minute IPA...so i'm making some amber malt.

my question, i'm toasting some pale malt right now to make amber.

is there a need to let the malt sit any longer than a few days after toasting in the oven?
btw there is a really nice sweet bready smell in my house right now :)

I brewed this back in March, and it turned out to be one of the best beers I've ever made! I ended up using WLP051 (California V). I split a 10 gallon batch into two kegs, dry hopped one for about 2 weeks, and just left the hops in the other keg until it ran dry (which didn't take long).

Pics here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/graftonbrew/sets/72157623752004628/

This recipe is golden. Thanks Yooperbrew!

I brewed this on 7/3/10. Do to some change in plans, I ended up leaving this to dry hop for 2 weeks. I actually cold crashed for the last 5 days of that. I do not have any 60min to test side by side, but this beer is fantastic. One of the best I've made to date!

Brewed the extract recipe last night with pellet hops. Hit an OG of 1.069. Pitched WLP001 at 70F. Cellar temp is around 73F.

Thanks for another great recipe!

BTW I think I'm going to do a 14 day primary then dry hop straight in the keg. Anyone skip the secondary dry hop and went straight for the keg with this recipe? I hoping that this will keep the hop aroma longer.

Just picked up the ingredients for this today. Will be getting up bright and early to brew this as my labor day brew tomorrow morning :D This will also be my first go at this recipe as AG, the last 2 were the extract version....fingers crossed this one turns out as well or better than my previous batches of it!

+Ditto! After holding on to the ingredients for over a month (a move and health reasons delayed) I am brewing this today!

I'm going to brew this recipe this week, I think. I have less than a couple of gallons left, and it's going fast out of the keg! I don't have any amber malt right now, but I've been subbing biscuit malt for the amber malt at times, and it's still great.

A couple of my friends have been asking me for a while to teach them how to homebrew. So I told them we can all buy the ingredients for this recipe, and I would show them how to brew. If we were to use US-05 yeast, should I still make a starter?

Would one have to use Pale/Gold DME to get the same results in color. My LHBS carries neither and I dont do much online ordering so I was wondering if a mix of Amber and Light DME would work.

Anyone have any experience with this?

A couple of my friends have been asking me for a while to teach them how to homebrew. So I told them we can all buy the ingredients for this recipe, and I would show them how to brew. If we were to use US-05 yeast, should I still make a starter?

I think you'll be alright without though you may want to consider pitching 2 packs. Thats a personal preference thing though

Would one have to use Pale/Gold DME to get the same results in color. My LHBS carries neither and I dont do much online ordering so I was wondering if a mix of Amber and Light DME would work.

I wouldn't use amber DME. It's got other stuff in there, like crystal. Use light DME, and follow the recipe for the extract batch.

I've brewed this twice as extract. 1st using all light DME, 2nd using all amber DME. The first batch with the light DME was the 2nd best IPA I've ever had with bells hopslam being the best(sorry yooper). The all amber brew was good, but I won't be making that again. Blending light DME with amber DME might be good, but if I ever brew the extract version of this again it will be all light DME.

MY $0.02 :)

Edit: oh, and as far as color, this is what I got using all light DME and 1lbs of Crystal 40L steeping grains
MugSmaller.jpg

Brewed on monday, extra quart of water (hop sponges!) and half pound more LME; hit the OG dead on. I had to use a blow-off tube the first few days; replaced with bubbler today. I am really looking forward to this one!

After one week this has appeared to stop at 1.022; a few points higher than I would like. I have kept the temp around 65 so I will probably bring it up to 70 or 75 and give the bucket a swirl or two. Any other suggestions on how to get a bit more efficiency are welcome!

raise the temp to 70 or maybe even 75 and give it two more weeks on the yeast. it might get down to 1.020 or maybe a point or two lower.

a light swirl might help. i wouldn't go crazy with that though.

I brewed up the extract version today, using all pellet hops, and when I took the OG it was barely at 1.050. I did however pour al the hops into the carboy along with the wort, could this have dropped the OG?

I brewed up the extract version today, using all pellet hops, and when I took the OG it was barely at 1.050. I did however pour al the hops into the carboy along with the wort, could this have dropped the OG?

I don't think hops will effect your gravity at all.

How much wort went into the Carboy(gallons), and how much DME/LME did you use? Last extract of this I made using 8Lbs of DME and I got 5 gallons and an OG of 1.060.

Your beer will still be good, just a little bit less alcohol.

I don't think hops will effect your gravity at all.

How much wort went into the Carboy(gallons), and how much DME/LME did you use? Last extract of this I made using 8Lbs of DME and I got 5 gallons and an OG of 1.060.

Your beer will still be good, just a little bit less alcohol.

I followed the recipe to a tee, and I even used the extra .5 lb of light LME my HBS gave me for free. However the extra volume of the starter put the batch up to just shy of 5.5 gallons.

I followed the recipe to a tee, and I even used the extra .5 lb of light LME my HBS gave me for free. However the extra volume of the starter put the batch up to just shy of 5.5 gallons.

In that case I'm not sure. Is it possible the LME was old? I've personally always used DME, but have heard that older cans of the LME can cause problems.

Okay, from the first page, dry hop using hop bags to keep the gunk down, but also "rack to a clean 5 gallon carboy." I know I am still a bit new here (this is batch number 6) but how do you fit a hop bag with hops thru the carboy opening? Even if you can, when the swell, how would you get the bag out? I ended up adding the hops directly to the carboy and then racking the brew on top.

Questions:

When it comes time to bottling, cold crash for a few days to get this all to the bottom?

Tie a hop bag to the end of the racking cane in the bottling bucket to collect the gunk that makes it thru?

Is there something I can add - I remember something about gelatin - to help clear it?

I want it as clear as possible, given my limited knowledge and equipment!

That said, the sample I took was absolutely delicious! :mug:

DFH_DryHoppin.jpg

Okay, from the first page, dry hop using hop bags to keep the gunk down, but also "rack to a clean 5 gallon carboy." I know I am still a bit new here (this is batch number 6) but how do you fit a hop bag with hops thru the carboy opening? Even if you can, when the swell, how would you get the bag out? I ended up adding the hops directly to the carboy and then racking the brew on top.

Questions:

When it comes time to bottling, cold crash for a few days to get this all to the bottom?

Tie a hop bag to the end of the racking cane in the bottling bucket to collect the gunk that makes it thru?

Is there something I can add - I remember something about gelatin - to help clear it?

I want it as clear as possible, given my limited knowledge and equipment!

That said, the sample I took was absolutely delicious! :mug:

This thread may help....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/help-there-hops-my-ipa-191681/

I dont know if it has already been asked, but when I enter the recipe in beersmith it turns out that the estimated color is 5.6SRM Whats wrong?

And what are the specs of marris otter malt? cant find it in the software

thanks

I dont know if it has already been asked, but when I enter the recipe in beersmith it turns out that the estimated color is 5.6SRM Whats wrong?

And what are the specs of marris otter malt? cant find it in the software

thanks

I googled some Marris Otter specs and guessed on some properties and added it to Beersmith myself. *DISCLAIMER* These may not be completely accurate but I have been hitting my OG and volume estimates spot on with Marris Otter.

Name: Pale Malt, Marris Otter
Origin: United Kingdom
Color: 3.0 SRM
Price: $1.23/lb
Potential: 1.038 SG
Coarse/Fine Difference: 1.50%
Dry Yield Fine Grain: 82.50%
Moisture: 3.00%
Diastatic Power: 120.0 Lintner
Max in Batch: 100%
Protein: 11.70%
Notes: Premium base malt from the UK. Popular for many English styles of beer including ales, pale ales and bitters.

If anyone has any feedback on these properties I'd be interested in hearing about them.

I can't get the amber malt, but can get some Maris Otter. Can I just roast it?

It would be different. You could sub biscuit malt or even aromatic malt if you wanted to. I've done it with all of the above- maris otter, aromatic, amber, biscuit, and maybe even some victory malt- and even though it is a bit different it's still great. It's only a few ounces anyway- a very small part of the grain bill- so you can toast some MO if you want.

Oh, the biscuit malt would be great! I'd use that.

Awesome.. I'll use that! Very excited for this.. going to be a long couple of months! I will probably brew another batch right away, so this lasts a while. Looks like a reasonably cheap brew as well with bulk hops, and reusing yeast.

Also.. newbie AG question. I'm assuming I can just mash this at 152 for 60 min? I didn't see the desired mash temp anywhere.

Oh, the biscuit malt would be great! I'd use that.

great to hear, as I just subbed biscuit malt in the batch I've got fermenting now :)

I'm going to dry hopping this with some nelson sauvin in addition to the simcoe and amarillo :)

Just got done making this. My first AG batch, and it went awesome! Hit all my numbers, 1.060 pre-boil, 1.070 OG post-boil. 76% efficiency!

Substituted Nugget hops for Warrior, because it's what I had. Upped the Nugget amount to close to an ounce because of the AAU difference, and I like bitter.

The continuous hopping is great! Keeps me busy during the boil.

Can't wait to try this!

about to order the supplies to follow the original recipe. thanks for the info!!

edit: look good?
Shopping Cart
1 x Brewers 2-Row Malt (13lbs)
1 x Maris Otter Malt (8oz)
1 x Warrior Pellet Hops (1 oz)
2 x Amarillo Pellet Hops (1 oz)
1 x Simcoe Pellet Hops (1 oz)
1 x Wyeast Rogue Pacman Ale 1764

about to order the supplies to follow the original recipe. thanks for the info!!

edit: look good?
Shopping Cart
1 x Brewers 2-Row Malt (13lbs)
1 x Maris Otter Malt (8oz)
1 x Warrior Pellet Hops (1 oz)
2 x Amarillo Pellet Hops (1 oz)
1 x Simcoe Pellet Hops (1 oz)
1 x Wyeast Rogue Pacman Ale 1764

Yep! Just make sure you have some DME to make a starter for the yeast about 3 days before, and you'll be all set.

I usually go with mrmalty.com's yeast pitching calculator. It gives you the optimum pitching rate based on OG and the age of the yeast.

very cool. I'll be sure to post up my results!

I just realized that the smallest quantity of malt the place I ordered from sells is 8oz, and I opted for all my grain to be in the same bag. Should I cancel the order and measure out 6oz? Or just roll with it and see what happens?

Back