Two Tier Brew Rig Build!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InfernoBrews

Reaction score
Ok I been posting under "Wood Frame Brutus RIMS Project" Thread.. But Decided to Just start a New on for this.. I Have worked on this Stand tor two evenings and one day now and this is where i am.. Feel Free to shoot questions and or Likes Dislikes I am always open for other views on things!

Day 1.....

RuffledStand1.jpg

Day 3....
Assembled Gas lines, Burners And test Fired.......Test Positive!
And a Pic to Get the Feel on how its going to Look...

RuffledStand4.jpg

RuffledStand5.jpg

since your burners are in the middle of the frame and not off-centered maybe something like these will be good - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/heat-shields-necessary-162611/index2.html Check about 2/3s down the page.

Not sure if you made something similar or went with sheet metal cut and rounded. Post some pics of the shields when you can, I would like to see how you approached them.

Rob

It should be just fine. I am painting it with high temp paint which will probly only last a bit before signs of ware from the heat show.

I would be concerned that they may start to sag when they get hot and with full pots on them.

looks good, i think you'll have plenty of support and not much in the way of fire danger if you put some sort of protection on. nice work!

oK Here is another pic of it with one coat of paint.. As some other have done i used High Heat Paint in the inside of the Frame..

As for those of you wanting to see the heat shields pics of that will be coming soon..

RuffledStand6.jpg

Nice work man, quality assembly! I don't think you're gonna run into a lot of heat problems with a heat shield on there and it running outside.

I agree that the stand will be strong... But wood + propane burners = bad idea to me. You know what campfires are made of? Wood. Know how many commecial wood burner stands are on the market? Zero. Can you get away with it? Maybe. Is it worth the risk? Not to me.

Can you post a material list and cost for your 2 tier setup. I am considering one myself, but it was going to be a 3 tier. I may however make it 2 and just place my burner assembly on the ground next to the rig. I am going to use an electric heating element to heat my top tier water for my mash. Not at the automated stage yet.

Your set-up looks great. Good luck on your first brew with it.

Salute! :mug:

Can you post a material list and cost for your 2 tier setup. I am considering one myself, but it was going to be a 3 tier. I may however make it 2 and just place my burner assembly on the ground next to the rig. I am going to use an electric heating element to heat my top tier water for my mash. Not at the automated stage yet.

Your set-up looks great. Good luck on your first brew with it.

Salute! :mug:

Sure thing ill get it together.. I Bought a lot of items and then came up with better ideas so i have to Return a bunch of things and sort out the pricing for everything.. but i will get it up ASAP..

Those are 4x4 pressure treated posts and 2x8 framing all lag bolted together. It would hold 4x that weight and not sag...

I was talking about the pipes supporting the burners. I'm assuming the pots will sit on them.

Steel shouldn't start to soften until it reaches 400C, it it gets that hot he's going to have bigger problems than that most notably the flaming rig :)

Looks like an amazing build! Every time some builds a rig out of wood the fire marshal Bill comes out. Let me tell you somethin I haven't heard of one bursting into flames yet

Inferno,

can you take a photo of the area where the burners are attached to the stand? Looking awesome, BTW. :)

Inferno,

can you take a photo of the area where the burners are attached to the stand? Looking awesome, BTW. :)

Yep sure will.. been so busy with work i haven't had time to get a few new pics taken.. So i plan on working on trying to finish up some last min things on it today so i can Test everything tomorrow.. So pics will be coming..

O and for those talking about the heat shield early on in the thread.. Ill get pics too.. i came up with other ideas for them so been playing with those ideas and should have them being installed today as well..

Very nice! I really dig those flanges....I wish I thought of that when I built my wood rig!

I have a few questions about your rig. Very nice by the way. How long are the blackpipe burner rests and how far apart are they? A picture of burner mounting would be cool too. Thanks.

One other thing, and you've probably already addressed it, but make sure you've got a few holes drilled in the sections of pipe you've used to support the pots. The air inside the pipe is going to get mighty warm and expand. Granted, the flanges probably aren't completely sealed air-tight against the wood, but it would be no fun to have the pipe pop explosively.

I will be doing some finishing touches today! soon as i get them done i will get all the pics everyone wanted as well as answer everyone questions. Figuring that some of these pics i will take should help or even answer alot of question everyone has asked!

Also Thanks for the Positives Everyone!!!!!!!:mug:

I have a few questions about your rig. Very nice by the way. How long are the blackpipe burner rests and how far apart are they? A picture of burner mounting would be cool too. Thanks.

Spacing for the Kettle Pipe supports and 10" center..
Length is 20 3/8", Splitting the difference with the flanges turning them in or out making a snug fit.

As for my Burner Mounting i Used round vent pipe caps drilling a hole in the center to bolt the burner to it and then mounted to plate and burner to 2 sticks of conduit, Using conduit straps and sheet metal screws.. These pics should explain it for you..

P4240073.jpg

P4240077.jpg

So Today i did a Test run with just water.. Spent most of the day playing with it and making sure i had no leaks or heat issues.. All is good!!!! Ready to run a batch off with it.. Of coarse though i came up with some other addition i will be adding down the road to it.. water filter,cpvc piped to the top tier to allow for easier filling of kettles and a 6' section of hose with nozzle for cleaning or when needed.. but those are for a later day..

Here are a few pics of it pretty much completed!

P4240062.jpg

P4240087.jpg

P4240097.jpg

Thinking My Light Blonde Ale.. Just because its easy and i Make it so much figured it would be a good one to test it out with.. Got to make something for the buddies that cant drink real beer..

Latest posts

Back