Grey wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterTheBrew

Reaction score
Hi all!

I brewed my first all grain batch yesterday and I have a question. It's a hefeweizen and the color was a light straw color after the sparge but after the boil it looked kind if grey... Smelled great but I've never seen wort look this color. What could cause this? Will it effect the taste of the beer? Thanks!

You could just be seeing a lot more break material than you're used to, I know I was surprised when I did my first all grain batch. If you have a good hot break, a good cold break, and use some irish moss it will all settle out in the carboy.

Break, hops, and wheat, my saisons look almost puke green in the kettle but settle out fine

The wort looks beautiful now!! It's been in the primary for 9 days and I'm expecting the FG to be about 1.011 and I just took a reading of 1.018. I was going to rack to a secondary tomorrow and add elderberries but should I let it sit in the primary longer?

If you must rack, then might as well add the berries.
Don't have to rack though; I've added berries to blondes and kolschs in the primary with no problems.
If you are sure of your racking process and sanitation, then I say rack away!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the response! I racked and added berries and am now trying to carbonate the beer. The color and flavor are fantastic but when I try to pour the beer out of the kegerator it is just trickling out of the faucet... Is this because it is not carbed enough or is this because there could be an elderberry stuck in the beer line? I tried to keep as many berries as I could from racking into the keg but some definitely got in..

Ya you got a clog. I would degas the keg and take your dip tube out and check that. I doubt a berry got past the post.

Blow in it real hard. its a straight piece of 1/4" id tubing if you have a dip tube brush or something small enough to fit inside it you can use that to.

I am trying to get the out post off so I can check this and can not get it off for the life of me! Any specific size wrench that works for this?

Ok thanks! If I use the grey gas connector on the out post does it need to fit on there snug? How much psi should I give it?

I just change my system to a BIABasket inside an aluminium pot. Yesterday I brew my first batch and something very unsual happend. The hot break has like a grey color. I try to scope out all. Finally I decided to not put any hops or yeast. I save my wort in a plastic bottle and the sediment still grey. (See images)

Anyone knows if is dangerous or had the same problem?? Why is grey???

I check the taste of the beer and isn't metallic. I brew with a very old (2 years) pilsner malt.

(Sorry for my English, isn't my native language)

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 110
Was it a new aluminum pot?

My guess it might be machining residue from manufacturing. Sometimes the residue on new equipment is stubborn to remove and requires a real good scrub with something that cuts machining oil residue.

Back