Tubing - Liquid and Gas - What to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theck

Reaction score
I have various tubing from home depot, local shop, etc for my setup but I am moving everything in the next couple months to a keezer build and want to replace all the lines to something of decent quality (starsan for example screws the home depot stuff). I live within driving distance from mcmaster carr and would like to get at least 100 ft (4 now, maybe 5 taps when done) of liquid and 50 ft of gas, what would be the best stuff to get as long as it doesn't break the bank? Thanks!

Best price I found was at Midwest Beverage. They also have the Oetiker clamps at half price as well. 5/16" ID for gas and 3/16" ID for liquid Shipping is not the cheapest though so have your list together and only order once.

Best price I found was at Midwest Beverage. They also have the Oetiker clamps at half price as well.

Looking for quality but not ridiculously priced. Mcmaster has some good pricing just not sure what to pick.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Only use hose that is rated for beverage service, like Bevflex. 10' to 12' per tap of 3/16"ID. I use 3/16"ID for gas to simplify my setup but diameter doesn't really matter. Oetiker clamps are the way to go. Warm the tubing in a cup of hot water before crimping. I use 1/4" swivel nuts on my lines, which makes reconfiguration a snap.

You want something that won't give a plastic taste to the beer, so the only one I see on that page that would work (according to the description) is the bottom one and it's like $2.64/foot. That's really so much more expensive than regular beverage line that I don't see an advantage to it.

Here's an interesting read on that: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/beer-line-tests-solution-plastic-taste-60380/

I did order some cheap line from McMaster Carr for soda, because soda needs like 30' of line, and it worked great. But it's very rigid and hard to work with, and I wouldn't use it for taps in my kegerator- I used it for one soda keg with a picnic tap because it was not easy to work with. That line is on the site for something like $.15 cents/foot. I can't remember the item number, but I'm sure searching on the forum could dig it up as that was what lead me to that particular line. Again- I would NOT use it in my kegerator but others probably don't mind the difficulty of working with it as much as I do.

Midwest Beverage is $31.10 for a 100 FT box of 3/16" ID x 7/16" OD Bevlex Series, Clear PVC BIB/Beer Tubing, 200-0307, just saying.

Hm, ya I keep reading that Bevlex is the bling. Maybe I got that route, I assumed I could get a better deal on better quality stuff via mcmaster.

Hm, ya I keep reading that Bevlex is the bling. Maybe I got that route, I assumed I could get a better deal on better quality stuff via mcmaster.

It makes a HUGE difference, unless you happen to like a weird plastic taste in your first pint out of the tap every time it sits for a few hours. :D

Some beverage lines are made of vinyl, which you don't want. But some of that Mcmaster-Carr stuff made out of PVC will be food safe- but that doesn't mean that there isn't a hint of flavor pick up in the lines.

I've never had an issue with Bevflex. If you get the really good tubing, it's a little stiffer and harder to work with but it's worth it. The bevflex stuff needs more like 12-15' per tap to be always foam free.

Best price I found was at Midwest Beverage. They also have the Oetiker clamps at half price as well. 5/16" ID for gas and 3/16" ID for liquid Shipping is not the cheapest though so have your list together and only order once.

What size oetikers do you use for the 3/16 beer line? I love those clamps even though it seems most people hate them. I use the 15.7 on the 5/16 gas line.

Is the bev-seal a step up from the flex? Few bucks more, but worth it?

I've ordered twice from them and no problems. In the first order they shipped the wrong color liquid hose. They shipped the correct color (clear) hose before receiving the return without questioning. And they paid the return shipping. I thought it was great CS.

I used the 13.3 clamps on 3/16ID clear bevlex 200 and 15.7 clamps on 5/16 ID red bevlex 204 gas line. The crimping tool was cheaper from Midwest than Amazon.

Installed my CO2 last weekend in my JonW inspired Keezer.

CO2 install.jpg

Thanks flounder,

I knew the size for 5/16 but I couldn't remember for the beer side. I have a crimping tool. I love the oetiker clamps. I will use those for a long time. Shipping is super expensive from midwestbeverage. 2-rolls of tubing (200') and 100 clamps is $30. It makes up for the good prices. Well, sort of. It will still be significantly cheaper than lhbs or keg connection so I guess that is a plus.

I believe they are geared more to the restaurant industry and large orders. I tried to make just one order due to their freight charges but I needed a few more parts that were hard to find like those little sleeves on shanks. I chalked it up what gas would cost me and part of my Saturday.

Just a point of order, because I'm seeing all kinds of names being thrown around:

Bevlex-200 is a particularly good PVC tubing, but it's not the same as Bev-Seal Ultra Series 235 tubing, which has a "glass" lining and has a very low resistance as a result.

Carry on...

Just a point of order, because I'm seeing all kinds of names being thrown around:

Bevlex-200 is a particularly good PVC tubing, but it's not the same as Bev-Seal Ultra Series 235 tubing, which has a "glass" lining and has a very low resistance as a result.

Carry on...

What do you think of the red bevlex 204 for gas lines? Does this provide sufficient barrier protection to minimize oxygen ingest on the gas side.

204 is a dual-durometer all-PVC line, very flexible but not particularly O2 resistant.

I suggest you look into "EVA" tubing as the material used is very good at keeping O2 out of beer or gas lines.
I intend to switch to it soon...

Cheers!

204 is a dual-durometer all-PVC line, very flexible but not particularly O2 resistant.

I suggest you look into "EVA" tubing as the material used is very good at keeping O2 out of beer or gas lines.
I intend to switch to it soon...

Cheers!
I've switched to EVA barrier tubing for both gas and liquid and can't recommend it enough. Best oxygen barrier available, very flexible, and super easy to rig up with push connect fittings.

I've switched to EVA barrier tubing for both gas and liquid and can't recommend it enough. Best oxygen barrier available, very flexible, and super easy to rig up with push connect fittings.

Was it due for a change because of wear or did you make the change early for the O2 barrier properties?

Was it due for a change because of wear or did you make the change early for the O2 barrier properties?

I was eager to get the barrier properties. I always changed out the Bevlex liquid line on a regular basis but it wasn't quite due yet, if only by a matter of months. And when I bought 39 ft of EVA tubing to put together a spunding valve with the Blow Tie, it was a no brainer to go ahead and put the rest to use on everything else I could.

I'm wondering how atmospheric O2 can get inside any pressurized gas line, through the line wall, as long as there is 12 psi CO2 on the inside. Isn't that a steep uphill battle?

Not at all. Even under pressure, the space between C02 molecules is ample for O2. It's like the CO2 isn't even there. I think it's Dalton's Law that explains that gases occupy spaces independently like the others are not there.

Last edited:
Back