Filtering from the Brew Pot to Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongShadow

Reaction score
I have a 10 gal megapot with a false bottom. I leave the false bottom in for the boil and use mostly hop pellets. I have a pickup tube installed but when I drain into the fermenter I leave about .75 gal. behind. I have attached a photo of 1/2 gal that was left behind. As you can see the false bottom does not catch a lot of the finer hop matter. The second photo shows how it settled after a day.
My questions is should I just be dumping whats left in the brew pot into the fermenter or leave all of this behind? Or use another filter? I have a fine mesh filter that goes in a funnel but it clogs up right away when i try to pour this through.
Also is all of that trub just hot break or is it also coagulated proteins? I use a whirlfloc tablet.

Cheers

BrewPotFiltering1LR.jpg

BrewPotFiltering2LR.jpg

It all goes into my fermenter. The hop material settles out in the trub and the cold break your seeing settles out and a lot of it gets taken care of by the yeast. I also have a false bottom in one of my kettles and dont use any filtration. Some brews have more break material than others but don't sweat it, just let the yeast do their thing.

I guess everyone has a different opinion on this.
My valve is about a 1/2" off the bottom of my kettle.
I normally don't put anything into the fermenter that is below the valve.
Obviously, I have to adjust my recipe & volumes for this loss.

I still end up with some break & hop funk in my fermenter.

I use a keggle with false bottom in the summer (IC in ice water to CFC for cooling) and my standard 8 gal kettle in the winter (IC works fine with the cold groundwater temps), and I honestly can't tell the difference between nearly all break/hop material getting filtered out with the false bottom as opposed to dumping just about everything in the fermenter from the kettle. I haven't done a side by side comparison though, so there may be subtle differences, but definitely nothing that's radically changed.

I have a kettle with a threaded interior that I was thinking about attaching a braided stainless steel hose to in order to filter this stuff out. I'm not really sure if this will plug though. The same braided hose works just fine in my mash tun.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like it does not matter if all of it goes into the fermenter as it will settle out anyway. I have made a few batches with it in the fermenter and a few without adding it to the fermenter and both have turned out ok. I suppose if you were reusing your yeast it may be more critical to try to keep some of this break material out but if you do not plan on doing this then its fine.

I get one of those 5 gal. paint filter bags, and use a bungy cord to hold onto the fermenter (bucket). I get quite a bit of hop and cold break material filtering this way. I use a 15 gal. boil pot with a valve about half an inch off the bottom. When it stops running out the valve, I pick up the pot and dump the balance in the fermenter.

I get one of those 5 gal. paint filter bags, and use a bungy cord to hold onto the fermenter (bucket). I get quite a bit of hop and cold break material filtering this way. I use a 15 gal. boil pot with a valve about half an inch off the bottom. When it stops running out the valve, I pick up the pot and dump the balance in the fermenter.

Ditto and it works great

Ditto and it works great

Double ditto. Although I've heard it's not proper I do massage the wort from the hop gunk in the paint strainer. Without dumping the kettle through the strainer I may lose a half gallon. A quart would be gone if I didn't force the wort from the hops. Kyle

I guess everyone has a different opinion on this.
My valve is about a 1/2" off the bottom of my kettle.
I normally don't put anything into the fermenter that is below the valve.
Obviously, I have to adjust my recipe & volumes for this loss.

I do the same thing. Once I started doing this, I noticed a positive difference in the beers I started making. Less of that all-encompassing "homebrew" flavor. If you're really that anal about an extra few pints of beer, I guess throw it in. FWIW I personally wouldn't let that trub anywhere near my fermenting wort. My wort is nutrient-rich enough without having all that extra garbage contact my wort while fermenting. If nothing else it's just good piece of mind.

Back